Dust storm develops in Pima County. (Source: CBS 5 News)
(Source: CBS 5 News)
(Source: CBS 5 News)
Aerials of the dust storm from our news helicopter as the video is being fed into the newsroom. (Source: CBS 5 News)
TUCSON, AZ (CBS5) -
The first significant dust storm of the 2013 summer season moved up from southern Arizona Wednesday afternoon but fell apart before hitting the Phoenix metro area.
Pinal and southwest Maricopa counties were under a dust storm warning that expired at 7 p.m.
The storm with gusty thunderstorms formed in Pima County Wednesday afternoon. By 5 p.m., the storm was sending dust into Pinal County.
Storms developed south of Casa Grande and began moving northwest closer to the Phoenix area, said CBS 5 chief meteorologist Chris Dunn.
Just after 5 p.m., the storm was estimated to be about 12 miles south of Casa Grande and heading toward Chandler.
The storm warning included the communities of Casa Grande, Coolidge, Florence, Gila Bend, Maricopa and Sacaton.
The warning also covered the nearby portions of Interstates 8 and 10.
The developing weather marked the first significant surge of activity of our summer thunderstorm season.
Hopes were high it would bring the potential of the first significant rain for the Valley in three months. It has been 93 days since there's been any measurable rain at Sky Harbor International Airport, Dunn said.
Stay with cbs5az.com and CBS 5 News for updates on this developing story.
[Text BREAKING to 23765 to get news alerts on your mobile phone]
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
The first dust storm of the 2013 summer season developed in Pima County July 10 and was followed by a second storm July 12. The storms continued through the summer until the September end to the monsoon.More >>
The first dust storm of the 2013 summer season developed in Pima County July 10 and was followed by a second storm July 12.More >>
Tuesday, September 2 2014 2:22 PM EDT2014-09-02 18:22:45 GMT
The Mississippi Highway Patrol has issued an Amber Alert for 17-year-old Katelyn Beard. She was abducted Saturday morning from between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. from 4244 Lynda Street in Jackson. BeardMore >>
Katelyn Beard's body was found during a search by local law enforcement Tuesday morning. More >>
Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:28 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:28:36 GMT
The search is over for the missing Mississippi 17-year-old at the center of the weekend Amber Alert. Katelyn Beard's body was found Tuesday before noon, off of Darden road, near the scene of a morningMore >>
The coroner said her body had been dumped for at least two days, and she was shot in the head.More >>
Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:50 PM EDT2014-09-02 20:50:53 GMT
Firefighters are working a fatal fire at a home located at 507 Vancleave Avenue in Ocean Springs Tuesday afternoon. Officials say at least one person is confirmed dead. WLOX News crews are on the scene.More >>
Firefighters are working a fatal fire at a home located at 507 Vancleave Avenue in Ocean Springs Tuesday afternoon.More >>