Mass. woman acquitted in son's hibachi grill death - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Mass. woman acquitted in son's hibachi grill death

A Massachusetts woman charged with killing her 8-year-old son by lighting a hibachi-style charcoal grill inside a bedroom in their apartment and then barricading the door has been found not guilty by reason of insanity.

A Norfolk Superior Court judge on Tuesday acquitted Li Rong Zhang of murder in the January 2011 death of Brandon Yang.

Authorities say the 42-year-old Quincy woman intended to kill herself and her son. They say she blocked the door and lit the grill, filling the room with poisonous fumes. The boy died of carbon monoxide poisoning. His mother, found by another family member, survived.

Multiple medical experts testified that the mother lacked criminal responsibility at the time and exhibited psychotic depression with paranoid delusions and was suicidal.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Daredevil plunges to his death after climbing 62-story building

    Daredevil plunges to his death after climbing 62-story building

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 7:27 AM EST2017-12-12 12:27:29 GMT
    This photo shows the Changsha city skyline. (Credit: Tim Zachernuk, Flickr)This photo shows the Changsha city skyline. (Credit: Tim Zachernuk, Flickr)

    A popular Chinese daredevil died while performing a dramatic stunt on top of a 62-story building, BBC News reports. 

    More >>

    A popular Chinese daredevil died while performing a dramatic stunt on top of a 62-story building, BBC News reports. 

    More >>
  • Woman burns her house down trying to kill bedbugs

    Woman burns her house down trying to kill bedbugs

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 7:27 AM EST2017-12-12 12:27:45 GMT
    The fire heavily damaged a five-unit building and sent three people to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. (Credit: Facebook, Kamaron Cvb Lyshe-Berry)The fire heavily damaged a five-unit building and sent three people to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. (Credit: Facebook, Kamaron Cvb Lyshe-Berry)

    Authorities say that three people have been injured and 10 people left homeless after a woman accidentally started a fire while trying to kill bed bugs with rubbing alcohol at a multi-family home in Cincinnati. 

    More >>

    Authorities say that three people have been injured and 10 people left homeless after a woman accidentally started a fire while trying to kill bed bugs with rubbing alcohol at a multi-family home in Cincinnati. 

    More >>
  • Girl has blunt message for Aetna after her brain surgery request was denied

    Girl has blunt message for Aetna after her brain surgery request was denied

    Monday, December 11 2017 4:34 AM EST2017-12-11 09:34:58 GMT
    Cara Pressman sobbed in the big red chair in her living room. The 15-year-old tried to absorb the devastating news relayed by her parents: that their insurance company, Aetna, denied her for a minimally invasive...More >>
    Cara Pressman sobbed in the big red chair in her living room. The 15-year-old tried to absorb the devastating news relayed by her parents: that their insurance company, Aetna, denied her for a minimally invasive brain...More >>
Powered by Frankly