Summer fire safety - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Summer fire safety

Posted: Updated:

Fire experts recommend you always think about safety first when you light up the grill. If they're not used properly, the enjoyable outdoor activity often leads to fires.

If you're going to do some outdoor grilling always keep kids away from the grill. Also make sure to grill in an open area and with charcoal grills, make sure all ashes are out when you're your meal is complete.

"A lot of people take their ashes and they think oh it was a week ago I cooked so the ashes will be cold and a lot of the times there's still hot embers and they'll take the ashes and dump them in a plastic bucket which is never a good idea to put any ashes in a plastic bucket or they'll go dump them in the yard and once again we have a grass fire," .

Another useful tip is to have a working fire extinguisher. Your local fire department can show you how to use one if you don't know how.

Copyright 2013 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Two injured Omega Protein plant workers speak out

    Two injured Omega Protein plant workers speak out

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-31 10:54:16 GMT
    Two of the men injured in the Omega Protein explosion on Monday are speaking out about the deadly blast. In an exclusive interview with WLOX, the men describe what happened, and how they survived.More >>
    Two of the men injured in the Omega Protein explosion on Monday are speaking out about the deadly blast. In an exclusive interview with WLOX News, the men describe what happened that day, and how they survived.More >>
  • Prostitution sting nets 31 arrests

    Prostitution sting nets 31 arrests

    Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
    31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >>
  • Fire destroys the Old Cuevas Bistro

    Fire destroys the Old Cuevas Bistro

    Thursday, July 31 2014 10:30 AM EDT2014-07-31 14:30:03 GMT
    "Destroyed," is how Harrison County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan described the aftermath of the fire at the Old Cuevas Bistro on Menge Avenue.
    More >>
    The owner of the Old Cuevas Bistro near Pass Christian says she does have insurance, and she hopes to rebuild. Rebuilding became necessary after a late night fire ripped through her restaurant. "Destroyed," is how Harrison County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan described the aftermath of the fire at the Old Cuevas Bistro on Menge Avenue.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.