Officials assessing impact of 6,700-acre Doce Fire - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

UPDATE

Officials assessing impact of 6,700-acre Doce Fire

A DC-10 tanker spreads retardant on the Doce Fire near Prescott on Wednesday. (Source: CBS 5 News) A DC-10 tanker spreads retardant on the Doce Fire near Prescott on Wednesday. (Source: CBS 5 News)
PRESCOTT, AZ (CBS5) -

Forest officials are planning what to do next after the Doce Fire burned 6,767 acres of the Prescott National Forest, and cost more than $7.2 million.

The Prescott National Forest BAR team said they plan to apply seeds and mulch to areas of severe burn to limit the risk to soils, hydrologic function and forest resources.

Officials are also warning of potential flooding and debris for residents who live downstream from the burned.

The human-caused fire was fully contained on Thursday.

In all, Hotshot crews and more than 740 firefighters, 21 hand crews, 27 engines, one helicopter and one bulldozer were used to contain the fire.

"The crews cut a direct fire line, and separated the fuel from the fire," Tony Sciacca said. "Crews dragged hoses, and water and extinguished hot spots. We feel the fire will not escape that containment line."

He said Iron Springs Road, south of the fire, between the intersection with Williamson Valley and Conteras roads, has reopened.

No structures had been lost, and 460 homes had been evacuated.

One person had a minor eye abrasion from the fire. No other injuries have been reported.

Individuals who may have seen suspicious activity related to the Doce Fire are asked to contact Forest Service Law Enforcement and Investigations at 928-527-3508 or 928-527-3509.

[Text BREAKING to 23765 to get news alerts on your mobile phone]

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Father, son indicted in deadly gun shop shootout

    Father, son indicted in deadly gun shop shootout

    Thursday, March 23 2017 4:28 PM EDT2017-03-23 20:28:22 GMT

    A father and son accused in a deadly shootout that rocked the small community of Henleyfield last year turned themselves in to authorities Tuesday.

    More >>

    A father and son accused in a deadly shootout that rocked the small community of Henleyfield last year turned themselves in to authorities Tuesday.

    More >>
  • CSX employee files suit over crash with Pepsi truck

    CSX employee files suit over crash with Pepsi truck

    Thursday, March 23 2017 3:05 PM EDT2017-03-23 19:05:52 GMT
    The driver was able to get out of the truck and no injuries were reported. (Photo source: WLOX)The driver was able to get out of the truck and no injuries were reported. (Photo source: WLOX)

    CSX is facing another million dollar lawsuit, but it's not connected to the recent deadly crash at the Main Street crossing in Biloxi. It's actually from the accident a month prior involving a Pepsi truck that was stuck on the tracks and hit by a CSX train.

    More >>

    CSX is facing another million dollar lawsuit, but it's not connected to the recent deadly crash at the Main Street crossing in Biloxi. It's actually from the accident a month prior involving a Pepsi truck that was stuck on the tracks and hit by a CSX train.

    More >>
  • Update: Missing 34-year-old man located

    Update: Missing 34-year-old man located

    Thursday, March 23 2017 2:25 PM EDT2017-03-23 18:25:35 GMT
    MPD needs the public's help in locating 34-year-old Trung Vo.  Photo: MPDMPD needs the public's help in locating 34-year-old Trung Vo.  Photo: MPD

    MPD needs the public's help in locating 34-year-old Trung Vo. 

    More >>

    MPD needs the public's help in locating 34-year-old Trung Vo. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly