Santa Monica shooter named, former student at college - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Santa Monica shooter named, 5th victim dies

The weapons used in Friday's deadly shooting. (Source: CNN) The weapons used in Friday's deadly shooting. (Source: CNN)

(RNN) – On Sunday, a fifth victim in the Santa Monica shooting has died, according to CNN.

CNN reported Santa Monica College President Chui Tsang and family said the victim, 26-year-old Marcela Franklin died on Sunday of gunshot wounds, received on Friday, while in an SUV with her father, near Santa Monica College.

The Los Angeles County coroner's office identified her father as 68-year-old Carlos Navarro Franco, who was shot while driving the SUV.

In a statement on the school's website Tsang said, "I am saddened to report that Marcela Franco passed away this morning at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. Her family was with her by her side. Marcela had registered to attend classes this summer at SMC and was with her father Carlos when Friday's tragedy struck."

The name of the shooter who went on a rampage Friday has also been released.

John Zawahri is the name of the shooter, who was killed by Santa Monica police officers in the library of the Santa Monica College, according to CNN. He would have turned 24 on Sunday.

In all, he killed five people, and injured several others. One of those injured is on life support in a Santa Monica hospital.

His shooting spree began at his family home, where authorities said he shot his father Samir and his brother Chris. It is still being investigated as to who eventually set the home on fire.

Santa Monica police said in a news conference Saturday that the shooting spree was "premeditated," and that Zawahri was heavily armed with a .223 semi-automatic rifle, a .44-caliber handgun and hundreds of rounds, loaded into two dozen magazines.

"Any time someone puts on a vest, comes out with a bag full of loaded magazines, has an extra receiver, a hand gun and has a semi-auto rifle, carjacks folks, goes to a college, kills more people and has to be neutralized at the hands of the police, I would say that is premeditated," said Santa Monica Police Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks at the news conference Saturday.

Police said that they had been called to the family's home in 2006 regarding an incident, but did not go in to further details because Zawahri was a minor at the time. Police did discover that he had been a student at Santa Monica College in 2010, but they believe he chose all of his victims at random, except for the two family members found in the home.

Police officials did say the don't believe the incident is related to terrorism.

Officials did not comment on his mental history, and they were also hesitant to classify this as a school shooting.

"In this case, the circumstances began in the community of Santa Monica, occurred throughout the city of Santa Monica, or in various locales, and then ended on a campus," Seabrooks said. "By the way that we traditionally look at a definition such as that, that is not a school shooting."

The initial 911 call that came in at 11:52 a.m. Friday was for a home that was on fire. Inside, firefighters found the two men who were shot to death.

Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Jackson Co. man charged with child's death appears in court

    Jackson Co. man charged with child's death appears in court

    Thursday, February 22 2018 1:00 PM EST2018-02-22 18:00:32 GMT
    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder.  (Photo source: WLOX)A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder. (Photo source: WLOX)
    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder.  (Photo source: WLOX)A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder. (Photo source: WLOX)

    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, was charged with capital murder Thursday after Tanner Cowart died at USA Medical Center in Mobile.

    More >>

    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, was charged with capital murder Thursday after Tanner Cowart died at USA Medical Center in Mobile.

    More >>
  • Stone Middle School student charged with cyberstalking

    Stone Middle School student charged with cyberstalking

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:17 AM EST2018-02-22 16:17:12 GMT

    A 15-year-old student at Stone Middle School will be charged with cyberstalking in connection with a threat on social media. And the district attorney is considering whether to charge him as an adult. 

    More >>

    A 15-year-old student at Stone Middle School will be charged with cyberstalking in connection with a threat on social media. And the district attorney is considering whether to charge him as an adult. 

    More >>
  • Hancock County officials investigating middle school threat

    Hancock County officials investigating middle school threat

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:16 AM EST2018-02-22 16:16:03 GMT
    School leaders in Hancock County say they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found.  (Photo source: WLOX)School leaders in Hancock County say they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found.  (Photo source: WLOX)

    School leaders in Hancock County are investigating a threat of a school shooting at Hancock Middle School. So far they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found. 

    More >>

    School leaders in Hancock County are investigating a threat of a school shooting at Hancock Middle School. So far they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly