Gulfport restaurant catches fire overnight - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Gulfport restaurant catches fire overnight

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

South China Chinese Restaurant on Courthouse Road in front of Gulfport High School caught fire around 4:00am Tuesday.

Gulfport Fire Department Battalion Chief Chris Henderson said the fire started in the kitchen where a pot was found left on the stove. Henderson believes the pot sparked a grease fire.

The roof and kitchen sustained smoke damage but Henderson said because the owners left the door to the kitchen closed it saved much of the eating area from smoke damage.

No one was inside the restaurant when the fire broke out.

Gulfport Fire Department is investigating the blaze.

Copyright 2013 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly