Spectators worldwide flying to Phoenix for Arias trial - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Spectators worldwide flying to Phoenix for Arias trial

PHOENIX (CBS5) -

You wouldn't know the Jodi Arias trial is winding down by the number of spectators that keep flowing in. They've flown in from as far as Australia for the chance to sit inside the courtroom.

On Thursday, people were hanging out in lawn chairs listening to a live broadcast of the trial.

"I was like, I have to come down here and see it in person," said Megan Youtkus. "My mom makes fun of me because I know everything about it, it's just always on. When I wake up, it's on, doing my hair, it's on."

"I wanted to come down here just to see the people's reaction to the trial," said Angelito Gomez.

"I get email alerts to my email," said Candace Gutierrez.

One of the TV networks is broadcasting the closing arguments here at Cityscape. A couple of blocks away on the courthouse steps, another crowd grows.

"I'm from rural Alberta," said Carole Moon.

People from all over the globe are descending upon those steps, some setting up at the crack of dawn, for a chance to sit inside.

"It's so surreal, I mean I've just been running on adrenaline all day," Moon said. "I can't believe it, I know it's not a rock concert, but I can't believe I got in today, I won the lottery."

Moon beat out dozens of people to be one of 11 spectators. She said there were around 80 people lined up this morning hoping to get in, and there was even a detention officer nearby to keep an eye on the crowd.

And though the excitement isn't wearing off any time soon, even these folks admit the end to this trial is a long time coming.

"I can't wait for the verdict," Moon said.

On Friday, the defense team will present their closing argument.

Stay with cbs5az.com for updates in the case.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Spectators worldwide flying to Phoenix for Arias trialMore>>

• SIDEBAR: Jodi Arias trial

Tuesday, January 13 2015 2:02 PM EST2015-01-13 19:02:59 GMT
    Monday, April 13 2015 3:28 PM EDT2015-04-13 19:28:00 GMT
    Jodi Ann Arias stands accused of shooting, stabbing and slitting the throat of her former boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in June 2008.More >>
  • NEWSMore>>

Wilkerson makes history in two-hit shutout

Sunday, July 23 2017 11:47 PM EDT2017-07-24 03:47:31 GMT

Faced with a four-game losing streak and the potential of their first series sweep of the season, the Biloxi Shuckers snapped out of their funk in a big way with a 7-0 victory over the Mississippi Braves on Sunday.

More >>

More >>

Marriage equality celebrated in Biloxi

Sunday, July 23 2017 11:03 PM EDT2017-07-24 03:03:50 GMT

On Saturday, marriage equality was celebrated. An event called One Night Out showcased the positive reaction to the federal law from 2015 that guaranteed marriage equality.

More >>

More >>

WLOX News This Week: Biloxi Development

A building boom is happening in Biloxi, within the next several months more than 300 new hotel rooms will be available downtown.

More >>

More >>
  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Bush's Baked Beans announces voluntary recall

Sunday, July 23 2017 7:14 PM EDT2017-07-23 23:14:18 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 7:14 PM EDT2017-07-23 23:14:18 GMT

Bush Brothers & Co.Saturday announced a voluntary recall of certain 28-ounce cans of three varieties of its baked beans.

More >>

More >>

Police: Parents gave newborn drugs to cover up addiction

Sunday, July 23 2017 1:52 AM EDT2017-07-23 05:52:55 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 1:52 AM EDT2017-07-23 05:52:55 GMT
    Colby Wilde, 29, and Lacey Christenson, 26, face four counts each of child endangerment and felony drug charges. (Source: Utah County Sherriff’s Office/KUTV/CNN)Colby Wilde, 29, and Lacey Christenson, 26, face four counts each of child endangerment and felony drug charges. (Source: Utah County Sherriff’s Office/KUTV/CNN)

The baby’s mother used heroin and prescription pain medication during her pregnancy, and the baby was born addicted to drugs, police say.

More >>

More >>

New York Times asks 'Fox & Friends' for apology

Sunday, July 23 2017 8:11 PM EDT2017-07-24 00:11:08 GMT
    Monday, July 24 2017 12:51 AM EDT2017-07-24 04:51:38 GMT
    The New York Times is asking Fox News' morning show "Fox & Friends" to apologize for what the newspaper calls a "malicious and inaccurate segment" about intelligence leaks and the Islamic State that aired Saturday.More >>
Powered by Frankly