Numerous shell casings left in fatal Jackson shooting - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

High powered assault rifle used in fatal Jackson shooting

Posted: Updated:
MSNewsNow crews on the scene report more than a dozen shell casings are scattered in the road and taped off area of the crime scene. (Source: MSNewsNow Photog Jim Duncan) MSNewsNow crews on the scene report more than a dozen shell casings are scattered in the road and taped off area of the crime scene. (Source: MSNewsNow Photog Jim Duncan)
JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

Jackson police are investigating a shooting on Culbertson Avenue that left one man dead and another victim in the hospital.

Jackson Police Department Assistant Chief Lee Vance reveals that what was first believed to have been two separate shootings that occurred in the overnight hours of Thursday morning are now thought to be one shooting, where one victim was able to escape the scene.

"It appears they are [linked]...and from the information [we've gathered], we can't see that anything happened on Ellis," Vance says of the reported Ellis Avenue shooting.

Vance says two individuals were shot on Culbertson Avenue at approximately 1:30 a.m. Thursday. One victim was able to drive away from the shooter and fled to the Walmart parking lot off of Highway 18. The second victim was discovered deceased in the driveway of a home on Culbertson Avenue around 8 a.m.

The victims, who have not been identified, were shot with a "high powered assault rifle, like an AK-47," according to Vance.

Jackson police officers on the scene where the body was discovered say a total of 22 shots were fired. Neighbors confirm they heard several gunshots sometime in the middle of the night, but say the sound is nothing new to the area. Police, however, say those casings may help track down a killer.

"We are going to try to analyze those [casings] and match those up," confirms Vance.

Hinds County Coroner Sharon Grisham-Stewart says she cannot say for sure that the victim died from a gunshot wound because of severe trauma the victim suffered to his head.

Police are in the process of setting up an interview with the second victim, who is in the hospital, to attempt to identify a motive and suspect in the shooting.

Photos from the scene show a mini-van with a broken, driver's side window and a flat, left-front tire. It is not clear, however, if the victim may have been inside the vehicle at the time of the shooting.

Copyright 2013 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

SIDEBAR: Culbertson Ave shooting

Updated:

Culbertson Ave. shooting scene

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Dismembered human corpse identified, suspected killer in jail

    Dismembered human corpse identified, suspected killer in jail

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:10 AM EDT2014-09-16 10:10:09 GMT
    (WMC) - Investigators have identified the man whose head they found inside a black garbage bag after police believe he'd likely been dead for more than a week. Police say the victim has been identifiedMore >>
    Investigators have identified the man whose head they found inside a black garbage bag after police believe he'd likely been dead for more than a week.More >>
  • Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:00 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:00:09 GMT
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate.More >>
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate. Johnson discovered the posts last week, and she says what she read would make parents cringe.More >>
  • 'Party mansion' owner convicted of tax and healthcare fraud

    'Party mansion' owner convicted of tax and healthcare fraud

    Friday, September 12 2014 12:38 PM EDT2014-09-12 16:38:35 GMT
    File photoFile photo
    A former Raleigh resident, known for the wild parties held at his “party mansion” in North Raleigh, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for tax fraud, healthcare fraud and money laundering crimes, according to a United States Department of Justice release.More >>
    A former Raleigh resident, known for the wild parties held at his “party mansion” in North Raleigh, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for tax fraud, healthcare fraud and money laundering crimes, according to a United States Department of Justice release.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.