ST. MARTIN, MS (WLOX) - It looked like candy, but 21 students and two adults at St. Martin Upper Elementary School quickly found out Wednesday that the "treat" they were served was actually the chemical compound aluminum potassium sulfate.
School officials say a young female student brought a small bag of homemade crystals to school. They were made from a crystal making kit purchased online. The student gave them to several classmates, saying they were rock candy. Some of the students ate a small amount.
School officials said when they found out what was actually served, the students' parents were contacted.
Sheriff Mike Byrd told WLOX News all the kids and adults are fine. Two students were taken to Ocean Springs Hospital to be checked out. Both were treated and released.
Aluminum potassium sulfate is commonly used in antacids and laxatives, but can cause medical problems if ingested in large amounts.
It's not known at this time if any disciplinary action will be taken against the student. The identities of the children and adults are not being released, as the incident remains under investigation.