MOSS POINT, MS (WLOX) - Moss Point firefighters started Wednesday early, working a fire that started around 2:30 in the morning on Katie Street. Twelve hours later, a second fire broke out on Kendall Street.
Moss Point Fire Chief Clarence Parks said several family members were at home when the first fire started, but no one was injured.
He said he believes the fire was started by a space heater, and caused $7,000-$10,000 worth of damage. Parks said a smoke alarm helped save the family's lives.
The second fire happened in an abandoned home in Moss Point's Creole Community on Kendall Street, according to Lt. Floyd Downs. The fire was contained within 15 minutes. Firefighters searched the building and no one was found inside.
Both fires are still under investigation.