Monday, May 20 2013 6:54 AM EDT2013-05-20 10:54:08 GMT
A Vancleave man was rescued around 7 Sunday evening after his kayak overturned. According to DMR Public Relations Manager Lauren Thompson said DMR received a report about the incident around 6:30 p.m.More >>
A Vancleave man was rescued around 7 Sunday evening after his kayak overturned.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 6:53 AM EDT2013-05-20 10:53:06 GMT
Community members and fellow classmates of Natalie Hightower are gathering tonight for a candlelight vigil in her honor. The 12-year-old Vancleave Middle School student underwent surgery this past MondayMore >>
They came, looking like a sea of orange--Natalie's favorite color, more than 200 strong.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 6:54 AM EDT2013-05-20 10:54:09 GMT
This morning a Humane Society of South Mississippi (HSSM) team is meeting with law enforcement agents about assisting in an animal rescue. HSSM released few details on the Monday rescue. They wouldn'tMore >>
This morning a Humane Society of South Mississippi (HSSM) team is meeting with law enforcement agents about assisting in an animal rescue.More >>
Saturday, May 18 2013 10:08 PM EDT2013-05-19 02:08:12 GMT
Officials with the Jackson County Sheriff's department say the body of Timothy Gordon, Sr. was found just after 12 p.m. Saturday on the Escatawpa River. Friday evening around 5:30, Gordon and anotherMore >>
The search in Moss Point is over. The body of 55-year-old boater Timothy Gordon has been pulled from the Escatapwa River. Now investigators are saying marijuana may have been involved in the accident.
Monday, May 13 2013 12:24 PM EDT2013-05-13 16:24:04 GMT
MARION COUNTY, MS (WDAM) - A weekend-long drug raid left 22 individuals behind bars, and more arrests to come. According to Marion County Sheriff Berkley Hall, the drug raid is the result of severalMore >>
A weekend-long drug raid left 22 individuals behind bars, and more arrests to come.More >>
GAUTIER, MS (WLOX) -
You might call them living examples of the power of smoke detectors. Three people survived a weekend fire that Gautier fire officials said could have been much worse. It's a mission for firefighters to get the devices into every home.
As Gautier fire officials look through the charred remains from this weekend's mobile home fire, they know all three renters who lived here are lucky to be alive.
"There was a working smoke detector inside and it woke the people up," Gautier Fire Chief Ray Frair said.
"Two of them got out uninjured. The third one received burns because he tried to remove a chair out the trailer that was burning," Gautier Fire Marshal Charles Thornburg said.
According to the fire department, there have been three fatal city fires in three years, including one at this mobile home park. Fire officials said that in all three of the homes, the owners either did not have working smoke detectors or the devices were just not present.
To make sure everyone has a working system, Gautier is giving them away for free through a state-funded program. There are several types, including a ten year battery-powered alarm.
"You never have to worry about replacing the battery until it starts chirping down the road," Frair said.
There's also a device called the bed shaker.
"When the smoke detector activates this receiver it starts shaking for people who are hearing impaired," said Frair.
Hopefully, these smoke detectors will increase safety and reduce the risk of any future fire fatalities.
If you need a smoke detector call the Gautier Fire Department at (228) 497-1656.
Be the first to find out about breaking news! To sign up for email alerts from the WLOX Newsroom, just enter your email address below.
Your email address will never be shared with a third party and youMore >>