One arrested, one hospitalized after fire at alleged pot house - - The News for South Mississippi

One arrested, one hospitalized after fire at alleged pot house

Posted: Updated:
Roger Tejas-Silva (Photo source: Gulfport Police Dept.) Roger Tejas-Silva (Photo source: Gulfport Police Dept.)

One man is behind bars and another is in the hospital after an early morning fire at what authorities are calling a pot house.

Gulfport Fire Chief Michael Beyerstedt told WLOX News a fire truck was dispatched to Tandy Drive, off Dedeaux Road, just after midnight to help a man suffering from severe lacerations. When firefighters arrived, they saw fire coming from a house across the street. It turns out the man was in that house. And he had to break out of it when the fire ignited.

Chief Beyerstedt said the house had only one entry point. All other windows and doors were covered by reflective insulation to help cultivate marijuana plants. He said the only entry point was blocked by flames, so the man was forced to knock a hole through a wall to escape. That's how he suffered the cuts.

"This house was nothing but a bed," Chief Beyerstedt said. "Everything else in there was a marijuana grow operation."

The chief also said the fire was caused by some sort of electrical short related to the grow operation.

The injured man was taken to the hospital, but officials have not released his name or his condition.

Another man, Roger Tejas-Silva, 41, was also at the scene trying to extinguish the fire. He was arrested and charged with cultivation of marijuana and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.

Tejas-Silva is being held at the Harrison County Adult Detention Center in lieu of $50,000 bond.

Copyright 2013 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.