Efforts to move up curfew underway - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Efforts to move up curfew underway

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Teenagers in Baton Rouge could see a change in curfew time if the new mayor pro tem gets his way.  The mall brawl from the Saturday night has fueled talk of this. 

Blue lights and crime scene tape replacing shoppers and diners, it's something that's happened at least three times at the Mall of Louisiana since 2012.  It's why EBR Metro Council Mayor Pro-Tem Chandler Loupe is once again reviving the curfew conversation.  As of now, the parish and Capital City do have a curfew in place.

"11 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. Saturday and Sunday, and that's for 16 years old and under," said BRPD Cpl. Tommy Stubbs.

Loupe wants to move it up to midnight on the weekends and have the curfew apply to anyone 17 and under.  The weekday 11 p.m. would remain untouched.  Of course there are exceptions: adult supervision, working or emergencies. 

"When kids stay out late at night, bad things happen or tend to happen, and a lot of our violent crime happens at night," said Stubbs.

Even though the proposed curfew would not have applied Saturday at the mall, Loupe said he wants to start a discussion.  Two years ago in February, shots rang out across the street from Perkins Rowe, and the private property was having problems with large crowds gathering.  In response, Loupe said the general manager instated a curfew specifically for Perkins Rowe.

"17 and under past 8 p.m.  It's been over a year, and I can't recall any large gatherings where we had to do what we did," said Loupe.

He wants the Mall of Louisiana to follow in their footsteps.  Last year in January, two bystanders were shot by the Boulevard at the Mall of Louisiana.  Just one month later, deputies were back after chaos erupted over a handful of some much-anticipated Nike shoes, and now this past Saturday's event.

"We can't let that type of environment continue to exist," said Loupe.

The mall's general manager refused to go on camera but told 9News in a statement they do have a public safety program in place, review it often and make necessary changes if needed.  That's what parents want now. 

"Get some strict rules going and cut some of that stuff down," said Wesley Smith, who was at the mall Saturday.

9News asked mall officials if there would be any changes because of Saturday's huge fight or even a curfew.  No one responded to our questions.

Loupe said he plans to wait some time before introducing the curfew hoping to get public input.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Pass police chief talks safety for upcoming parade

    Pass police chief talks safety for upcoming parade

    Saturday, January 20 2018 10:14 AM EST2018-01-20 15:14:45 GMT
    This is a photo from police on the scene after the shooting in 2016. (Photo source: WLOX News)This is a photo from police on the scene after the shooting in 2016. (Photo source: WLOX News)

    Officials in Pass Christian are already making plans for tighter security at this year's annual Mardi Gras parade. Part of that decision comes just two years after a fatal shooting at the parade claimed the lives of two men and left multiple others injured.

    More >>

    Officials in Pass Christian are already making plans for tighter security at this year's annual Mardi Gras parade. Part of that decision comes just two years after a fatal shooting at the parade claimed the lives of two men and left multiple others injured.

    More >>
  • Three people shot at Biloxi nightclub

    Three people shot at Biloxi nightclub

    Saturday, January 20 2018 9:31 AM EST2018-01-20 14:31:56 GMT
    Wayna Scott, 21 of Gautier, is charged in an overnight shooting Friday at a Biloxi nightclub. (Source: Biloxi Police Dept)Wayna Scott, 21 of Gautier, is charged in an overnight shooting Friday at a Biloxi nightclub. (Source: Biloxi Police Dept)

    A Gautier man is now behind bars after a nightclub shooting in Biloxi left three people injured overnight Friday.

    More >>

    A Gautier man is now behind bars after a nightclub shooting in Biloxi left three people injured overnight Friday.

    More >>
  • Two arrested for burglary and restaurant fire, police say

    Two arrested for burglary and restaurant fire, police say

    Friday, January 19 2018 9:43 PM EST2018-01-20 02:43:18 GMT
    Police say the suspects took a safe and a cash register before setting the restaurant ablaze. (Photo Source: WLOX)Police say the suspects took a safe and a cash register before setting the restaurant ablaze. (Photo Source: WLOX)

    Two men have been arrested after they allegedly stole from a Saucier restaurant and set the building on fire. 

    More >>

    Two men have been arrested after they allegedly stole from a Saucier restaurant and set the building on fire. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly