Mother rescues children from burning apartment - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Mother rescues children from burning apartment

The apartment resident said flames spread to the door, engulfing the Christmas tree, printer stand and couch where Emily had been laying. (Source: Facebook) The apartment resident said flames spread to the door, engulfing the Christmas tree, printer stand and couch where Emily had been laying. (Source: Facebook)
JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

In the early hours of New Year's Eve the lives of eight families were drastically changed when fire ravaged their apartment building. One Jackson woman said she rescued her children and escaped as flames overtook their apartment.

Angela Carter was awakened by her daughter Emily's cries, alerting her to the fire that started in the living room of her Highland Park Apartment.

"She was struggling trying to get out and her legs got caught up in there, the Christmas lights. And she was just yelling for me to help her and I heard her and I ran up the hall and what you see is what it was. It was blazed up," recalls Carter.

The River Oaks Ob-Gyn escort said flames spread to the door, engulfing the Christmas tree, printer stand and couch where Emily had been laying. The frightened mother had only moments to save her three children.

"I grabbed her and I told them to hold on to my legs and we crawled out, and we got out. That was it. When the wind hit it, it was gone. It was gone in less than 20 minutes," added Carter.

She lived in a downstairs unit, apartment 171, in the rear of the complex. The fire spread to seven other apartments in building 17.

Carter knocked on her neighbors' doors urging them to escape. Families in eight apartments lost practically everything. Around 1:30 a.m. on New Year's Eve most left with just the clothes on their backs.

"I was able to salvage these few pictures and a few clothing," said Kimberly Blake who spent the day walking through the charred remains of her cousin Calvin Williams' apartment.

Williams and his wife and three young daughters lived in the downstairs apartment across from Carter. Blake helped the family recover what they could.

"We came over here like 1:30 this morning, and it was all up in flames by two o'clock. We left here about five and everything was still smoking," said Blake.

When Jackson firefighters arrived heavy smoke and flames were coming through the roof of the rear unit. Losses like these during the holiday season aren't just routine for members of the Jackson Fire Department.

Chief Fire Investigator Gregory Travis is a 25 year veteran and said first responders and investigators are often at a loss for words witnessing the devastating losses families face.

"It's a tough fight for us to be able to come in and see the expression, the emotion that goes with this situation and the families. It is a tragic time of the year. So much was lost. There is a lot of property that they had just retained through the season that they no longer will have at this point," said Travis.

No one was injured, and no lives were lost. Jackson fire officials are still trying to pinpoint the exact origin of the blaze.

Copyright 2012 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Keesler Medical Center wins prestigious award

    Keesler Medical Center wins prestigious award

    Saturday, February 24 2018 3:04 PM EST2018-02-24 20:04:11 GMT

    In Biloxi, employers at Keesler Medical Center are celebrating a big win for the Air Force's Hospital of the Year award.

    More >>

    In Biloxi, employers at Keesler Medical Center are celebrating a big win for the Air Force's Hospital of the Year award.

    More >>
  • Seabee Base hosts high school students with a love for STEM

    Seabee Base hosts high school students with a love for STEM

    Saturday, February 24 2018 2:35 PM EST2018-02-24 19:35:20 GMT
    Students get a chance to assemble part of a diesel-hydraulic engine (Source: WLOX)Students get a chance to assemble part of a diesel-hydraulic engine (Source: WLOX)

     "On a scale from 1 to 10, it was like 2,000." That is how one student described the STEM field trip to the Seabee Base in Gulfport. 

    More >>

     "On a scale from 1 to 10, it was like 2,000." That is how one student described the STEM field trip to the Seabee Base in Gulfport. 

    More >>
  • Sonic boom shakes Jackson County

    Sonic boom shakes Jackson County

    Saturday, February 24 2018 2:22 PM EST2018-02-24 19:22:06 GMT
    The sonic boom caused a loud noise heard throughout Jackson County. (Photo source: WLOX)The sonic boom caused a loud noise heard throughout Jackson County. (Photo source: WLOX)

    Authorities believe a sonic boom is to blame for the loud boom heard throughout Jackson County Saturday morning.

    More >>

    Authorities believe a sonic boom is to blame for the loud boom heard throughout Jackson County Saturday morning.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly