Lots of vacancies at coast hotels for New Year's Eve - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Lots of vacancies at coast hotels for New Year's Eve

BILOXI, MS (WLOX) -

The vacancy sign remains lit outside one hotel on the beach in Biloxi. Linda Hornsby with the Hotel and Lodging Association says that is the case at most properties.

"As of this moment, there is plenty of availability. We only have a couple of the casino hotels that are full," Hornsby said.

But Hornsby remains hopeful that will change before the clock strikes midnight ringing in 2013.

"Usually in past years, we have seen more of the hotels full at this point," Hornsby said. "There are a number of factors that come into play, but I think it's going to change in the next couple of days."

New Year's Eve revelers started checking into Four Points by Sheraton on the beach in Biloxi Friday. General Manager Kenny Glavan expects to be almost sold out until January 3rd.

"This New Year's Eve is shaping up real nice," Glavan said. "We are probably going to end the weekend completely full and then we springboard into the new year with the Sugar Bowl.

The Gulf Coast Convention and Visitor's Bureau is helping boost occupancy by offering free transportation to New Orleans with a two night stay at a South Mississippi hotel. They're also running ads in the opposing teams' hometowns.

"You have people coming for the Sugar Bowl who say, 'Hey, I've heard about the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Let's go experience it, it will be fantastic,' and we are going to show them just that," Glavan said.

"We have seen a lot of activity pick up. So far we only have one bus that's full, but we still have a couple more on reserve and again I think on the next day or two that will pick up," Hornsby said.

Copyright 2012 WLOX. All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Police: Viral social media post is no threat to Biloxi

    Police: Viral social media post is no threat to Biloxi

    Friday, February 23 2018 12:53 PM EST2018-02-23 17:53:41 GMT
    Police say a viral social media post is not a threat to Biloxi High. (Source: Twitter)Police say a viral social media post is not a threat to Biloxi High. (Source: Twitter)

    A social media post threatening violence at a high school is sparking fear in people throughout the country, including right here on the Coast but police say the post has no connection to South Mississippi.

    More >>

    A social media post threatening violence at a high school is sparking fear in people throughout the country, including right here on the Coast but police say the post has no connection to South Mississippi.

    More >>
  • Robin Roberts receives Lifetime Achievement Award

    Robin Roberts receives Lifetime Achievement Award

    Friday, February 23 2018 11:59 AM EST2018-02-23 16:59:23 GMT
    Pass Christian native and host of Good Morning America Robin Roberts will receive the Lifetime Journalism award from the Radio Television Digital News Association. (Source: ABC)Pass Christian native and host of Good Morning America Robin Roberts will receive the Lifetime Journalism award from the Radio Television Digital News Association. (Source: ABC)
    Pass Christian native and host of Good Morning America Robin Roberts will receive the Lifetime Journalism award from the Radio Television Digital News Association. (Source: ABC)Pass Christian native and host of Good Morning America Robin Roberts will receive the Lifetime Journalism award from the Radio Television Digital News Association. (Source: ABC)

    South Mississippi's own Robin Roberts can add another accolade to her list of achievements. The co-anchor of ABC's "Good Morning America" has received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Radio Television Digital News Foundation.

    More >>

    South Mississippi's own Robin Roberts can add another accolade to her list of achievements. The co-anchor of ABC's "Good Morning America" has received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Radio Television Digital News Foundation.

    More >>
  • MS Dept. of Health confirms second pediatric flu death

    MS Dept. of Health confirms second pediatric flu death

    Friday, February 23 2018 11:44 AM EST2018-02-23 16:44:56 GMT
    Source: MSDH facebookSource: MSDH facebook

    The Mississippi State Department of Health reports the second confirmed flu death for the 2017-2018 season.  The death happened in someone from central Mississippi and the victim was younger than 18. 

    More >>

    The Mississippi State Department of Health reports the second confirmed flu death for the 2017-2018 season.  The death happened in someone from central Mississippi and the victim was younger than 18. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly