Family loses home to fire - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Family loses home to fire

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

It's a family's worst nightmare.

"My house was on fire. I had neighborhood kids come up to my job to let me know," said Temeka Dunn.

On Thursday, just 12 days before Christmas, Temeka Dunn and her family suffered a terrible loss. The house they've called home for seven years burned.

"Everything in the house was destroyed, from the front to the back," said Dunn.

Just a few hours after the home burned, the father of Temeka's daughter Lamont Anderson turned himself into authorities. He is being held on a charge of first degree arson.

"I have a forgiving heart. So, I'm very forgiving to him. He just needed the help he needed," said Dunn.

Dunn said she's just happy everyone in her family was unharmed in the fire. Still her son, 12-year-old Randolph Perkins, said he can't imagine Christmas anywhere else.

"I miss my house and my memories about it. All the fun we used to have in it," said Perkins.

Dunn said she lost about $20,000 worth of things when her house burned. So, the Courtyard Marriott stepped in to offer her and her family a place to stay until they can move into their new home.

As this family recovers from their loss, Dunn said all that is left to do is give thanks.

"Luckily, I have everything I need around me, and that's my family and their love," Dunn said. "We're okay."

Copyright 2012 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly