Community groups hope for fresh start with port connector road - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Community groups hope for fresh start with port connector road design

A two year legal fight ended with a two page judge's decision. The ruling set aside the permits issued to MDOT by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers until the Corps completes a new environmental assessment on a proposed port connector road. A two year legal fight ended with a two page judge's decision. The ruling set aside the permits issued to MDOT by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers until the Corps completes a new environmental assessment on a proposed port connector road.
GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

It looks like it's back to the drawing board for plans on a new port connector road. This week a judge set aside permits allowing for the construction of a road connecting the Port of Gulfport to I-10. The judge sided with a land owner who sued the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers alleging not enough had been done to look at the true environmental impact.

A two year legal fight ended with a two page judge's decision. The ruling set aside the permits issued to MDOT by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers until the Corps completes a new environmental assessment on a proposed port connector road.

"I thought it was a great decision. I thought the ruling was fair," said Rose Johnson with North Gulfport Community Land Trust. "It's what I've always wanted from the very beginning to do an EIS, an environmental impact statement, to address some of our concerns."

The concerns about the port connector road include air pollution and noise. However, the North Gulfport Community Land Trust and the Steps Coalition said they are most alarmed by plans to fill in wetlands around Turkey Creek.

"We'd like them to look at some alternatives. There is an existing route that would not destroy 162 acres of wetlands that would increase flooding into a community that is already flooding," Johnson said. "We have serious concerns about flooding in the Forest Heights subdivision. About 60 homes experienced a lot of flooding recently. So any time you fill the wetlands, you take away our flood protection."

Both groups say they want to see a connector road built, but they believe it can be done in a way that helps the port without hurting Gulfport neighborhoods.

Howard Page of the Steps Coalition said, "We hope that this will not hurt the port. We want to see a port that creates jobs and we are very supportive of that. We want to work with the port, with the governor's office toward a good port that is safe and healthy for everyone and creates jobs."

Meanwhile, port officials said when the restoration project is complete, the port would need the new road to facilitate traffic but for the next four to six years it would not be a problem. Meanwhile, MDOT officials said although this is an MDOT project since the lawsuit was against the US Army Corps of Engineers, it will be up to Corps whether to appeal the ruling.

Copyright 2012 WLOX. All rights reserved. 

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Woman killed in wrong-way interstate crash identified

    Woman killed in wrong-way interstate crash identified

    Wednesday, March 29 2017 11:06 AM EDT2017-03-29 15:06:13 GMT

    The woman killed in a wrong-way crash on I-10 early Wednesday morning has been identified.

    More >>

    The woman killed in a wrong-way crash on I-10 early Wednesday morning has been identified.

    More >>
  • Woman reported missing in Biloxi

    Woman reported missing in Biloxi

    Wednesday, March 29 2017 10:27 AM EDT2017-03-29 14:27:27 GMT
    Lindsey Newman (Photo source: Biloxi Police Department)Lindsey Newman (Photo source: Biloxi Police Department)

    Biloxi police are asking for help finding a woman last seen March 9. Officials said Lindsey Newman, 30, was last seen in the 700 block of Beach Blvd. around 1 a.m.

    More >>

    Biloxi police are asking for help finding a woman last seen March 9. Officials said Lindsey Newman, 30, was last seen in the 700 block of Beach Blvd. around 1 a.m.

    More >>
  • Bus passenger seeks $25 million in damages from train accident

    Bus passenger seeks $25 million in damages from train accident

    Wednesday, March 29 2017 8:44 AM EDT2017-03-29 12:44:11 GMT

    A new lawsuit filed in the aftermath of the tragedy on the tracks near downtown Biloxi claims the driver of the bus stuck on the tracks "was an inadequately trained, unlicensed, incompetent or reckless." That suit was filed in Houston, Texas on behalf of Mary Hall, one of the injured passengers on the charter bus that got smashed by a CSX train. It asks a court to award Hall a minimum of $25 million in actual damages.

    More >>

    A new lawsuit filed in the aftermath of the tragedy on the tracks near downtown Biloxi claims the driver of the bus stuck on the tracks "was an inadequately trained, unlicensed, incompetent or reckless." That suit was filed in Houston, Texas on behalf of Mary Hall, one of the injured passengers on the charter bus that got smashed by a CSX train. It asks a court to award Hall a minimum of $25 million in actual damages.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly