Sunday, May 19 2013 1:09 PM EDT2013-05-19 17:09:27 GMT
The Shed in Ocean Springs won first place in both the Whole Hog and Poultry categories this weekend at the Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest.More >>
A South Mississippi BBQ joint is bringing home top honors from a prestigious competition. The Shed in Ocean Springs won first place in both the Whole Hog and Poultry categories this weekend at the Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest.More >>
Monday, May 13 2013 12:24 PM EDT2013-05-13 16:24:04 GMT
MARION COUNTY, MS (WDAM) - A weekend-long drug raid left 22 individuals behind bars, and more arrests to come. According to Marion County Sheriff Berkley Hall, the drug raid is the result of severalMore >>
A weekend-long drug raid left 22 individuals behind bars, and more arrests to come.More >>
Sunday, May 19 2013 4:06 PM EDT2013-05-19 20:06:52 GMT
We are nearing the end of the Spring season and for the Humane Society of South Mississippi (HSSM) they are in the middle of kitten season. They are over their capacity of cats storing some in boardMore >>
We are nearing the end of the Spring season and for the Humane Society of South Mississippi (HSSM) they are in the middle of kitten season.More >>
It's all about the odds, and one lone ticket in Florida has beaten them all by matching each of the numbers drawn for the highest Powerball jackpot in history at an estimated $590.5 million, lottery officials...More >>
Some lucky person walked into a Publix supermarket in suburban Florida over the past few days and bought a ticket now worth an estimated $590.5 million - the highest Powerball jackpot in history.More >>
It's been less than 10 months since the world record for a lottery prize. On Saturday night, it could conceivably fall once again.More >>
It's all about the odds, and one single ticket in Florida has beaten them all by matching the numbers drawn for the highest Powerball jackpot in history at an estimated $590.5 million, lottery officials disclosed Sunday.More >>
NACOGDOCHES, TX (KTRE) -
A house built in the late 1800s burned to the ground Tuesday night in what fire investigators believe could have started with a gas leak.
The house, which had been divided into three apartments, had five occupants. Two were in the house at the time of the fire, but escaped safely. It is located on Hospital Street.
According to investigators, one of the residents had turned on an electric heater and then heard a "whoosh."
"I was in this apartment," Russ Havard, one of the home's occupants, said. "It made a little spark, and that's when I heard the noise behind the vent right there."
He opened the closet, saw a wall of fire, and got the other resident out safely.
"And the flames were probably already up in the ceiling about a quarter of the way."
Havard had seconds to call 911 and search for occupants. He found none. However, he didn't know that a hearing-impaired tenant was asleep in one of the units, totally unaware of the blaze. Fortunately, a neighbor reminded him of the possibility.
"And that was exactly what was going on, and he was kinda coming out coughing when they knocked the door in," Havard said.
Firefighters were called to the scene around 8 p.m.
Investigators believe there may have been a gas leak behind the walls. Once the heater came on, it sparked the fire.
"There was raw gas coming out of the main pipe in that room going straight into the attic space, and it spread pretty quick through the attic," Del Birdwell, a fire marshal with the Nacogdoches Fire Department, said.
The deaf man's hearing aids burned. The graduate art student lost her original works. An out-of-town tenant had to ask a friend to look for a cherished memory of her recently deceased dad. There were losses, but everyone is safe and grateful.
"The firefighters were great and the neighbors were just incredible, so that's the main thing I want to say."
Be the first to find out about breaking news! To sign up for email alerts from the WLOX Newsroom, just enter your email address below.
Your email address will never be shared with a third party and youMore >>