Barbour Meets In Washington Federal Medicaid/Medicare Officials - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

06/24/04

Barbour Meets In Washington Federal Medicaid/Medicare Officials

Gov. Haley Barbour met Thursday with federal Medicaid and Medicare officials in Washington to discuss waivers to allow 18,000 Mississippi Medicaid recipients to remain in the program.

Lawmakers have urged the governor to call a special session to let 65,000 people stay on Medicaid or delay the date they would be removed from the program.

Barbour spokesman Pete Smith said Thursday there has been no decision about a special session. Smith said there's also been no word on Barbour's request for waivers.

"I appreciate the positive responses we are receiving from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services,'' Barbour said in a statement. "I am comfortable that the waivers we are asking for will be granted.''

Letters have gone out to the thousands of poor, elderly and disabled people who are set to be cut off Medicaid on July 1. Medicaid is paid by state and federal dollars, and officials say Mississippi should save $41 million through changes in the program.

Barbour has said 60,000 of those losing Medicaid will be covered by the federal Medicare program. Many patients worry they won't have enough prescription drug coverage.

Barbour met privately with legislative leaders last week about possibly delaying the cuts until Oct. 1. But many lawmakers say they want to either delay the cuts until Dec. 31 or to restore all those scheduled to be cut off the program.

The state faces stiff financial penalties from the federal government if those now being removed from Medicaid - those between 100 percent and 135 percent of the federal poverty level who also qualify for Medicare - are still on Medicaid on Jan. 1, 2006. That's when Medicare is supposed to have an extensive prescription drug benefit.

Mississippi Medicaid director Warren Jones and other officials were to meet with federal officials again Friday.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Charges upgraded to murder in Gulfport attack

    Charges upgraded to murder in Gulfport attack

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 10:08 AM EDT2017-07-26 14:08:01 GMT
    James Christopher Woodard (Photo source: Gulfport Police Department)James Christopher Woodard (Photo source: Gulfport Police Department)

    A homeless man is now facing a charge of second degree murder for an attack that happened earlier this month in Gulfport. The upgraded charge against 31-year-old James Christopher Woodard comes after the victim died from his injuries.

    More >>

    A homeless man is now facing a charge of second degree murder for an attack that happened earlier this month in Gulfport. The upgraded charge against 31-year-old James Christopher Woodard comes after Ronald Spencer died from his injuries.

    More >>
  • Catching shrimp, crabs and other fish became easy today

    Catching shrimp, crabs and other fish became easy today

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 9:57 AM EDT2017-07-26 13:57:52 GMT
    Fishermen have a ball as fish wash up on the Gulfport shoreline (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)Fishermen have a ball as fish wash up on the Gulfport shoreline (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)

    Is it a jubilee? Shrimp, crabs, and other fish started washing ashore Tuesday between Moses Pier and Urie Pier in Gulfport. A bait shop operator said the birds and pelicans in that area had quite a feast. On Wednesday morning, people had their coolers and their nets along the shoreline. They reeled in fish that appeared to be oxygen deprived.

    More >>

    Is it a jubilee? Shrimp, crabs, and other fish started washing ashore Tuesday between Moses Pier and Urie Pier in Gulfport. A bait shop operator said the birds and pelicans in that area had quite a feast. On Wednesday morning, people had their coolers and their nets along the shoreline. They reeled in fish that appeared to be oxygen deprived.

    More >>
  • Two people escape from burning Saucier home

    Two people escape from burning Saucier home

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 8:06 AM EDT2017-07-26 12:06:14 GMT
    An overnight fire burns down a home in Saucier. Two people escaped but need to be taken to the hospital (Photo Source: Pat Sullivan)An overnight fire burns down a home in Saucier. Two people escaped but need to be taken to the hospital (Photo Source: Pat Sullivan)

    Two people ran from the burning home in the Saucier community overnight. First responders say the duo was inside the burning building long enough to breathe in too much smoke. AMR rushed both people to the hospital so they could be treated for smoke inhalation. By the time fire trucks arrived, flames and smoke could be seen pouring out of the entire home. The trailer was a total loss. Sullivan says the home did not have working smoke alarms.

    More >>

    Two people ran from the burning home in the Saucier community overnight. First responders say the duo was inside the burning building long enough to breathe in too much smoke. AMR rushed both people to the hospital so they could be treated for smoke inhalation. By the time fire trucks arrived, flames and smoke could be seen pouring out of the entire home. The trailer was a total loss. Sullivan says the home did not have working smoke alarms.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly