SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - Some of you who lost work because of Hurricane Isaac may be eligible for disaster unemployment benefits through FEMA, but the deadline is fast approaching.
Those living in Hancock, Harrison, Jackson, and Pearl River Counties have until October 4 to apply.
Those living in George and Stone Counties have until October 10 to apply.
Those who may be eligible include:
• Self-employed individuals who lived or worked in the affected areas during the storm and those who are unemployed as a result of the storm.
• Workers who were unable to reach their jobs.
• Those who were to begin employment because they were unable to travel due to the disaster.
• Individuals who became the primary or major wage earner due to the disaster-related death of the head of the household.
• Those who cannot work because of an injury caused as a direct result of the storm.
• Individuals who can no longer work or lost work as a result of physical damage or destruction of a business.
For information about who is eligible for assistance, as well as the application to benefits, go to MDES anytime, or call 888-844-3577 from 8AM to 4:30PM Monday through Friday.
Those requiring TTY assistance may call 800-582-2233.