Mississippi Gulf Coast Bulldogs Ranked #1 in NJCAA Poll - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Mississippi Gulf Coast Bulldogs Ranked #1 in NJCAA Poll

In the first week of the Football Computer Rankings system coach Steve Campbell's Bulldogs jumped into the number one slot.  The FCR is worth 33% of the poll with the other 67% coming from the human voters.

It's based on: Winning percentage (50%), Opponents winning percentage (25%), and Opponents-Opponents winning percentage (25%).

Coach Campbell said, "It's great to be number one, but the main goal is to be in that spot at the end of the season. Right now our main focus is Jones this Saturday.  None of the rankings matter if we don't take care of business on the field."

Defending NJCAA National Champion East Mississippi slipped from number 1 to number 4 in the FCR since the combined record of their opponents is 1-7.

 

Copyright 2012 WLOX. All rights reserved.

  • SPORTSMore>>

  • Southern Miss eliminates UTSA 7-1, advances to C-USA Tournament Semifinal

    Southern Miss eliminates UTSA 7-1, advances to C-USA Tournament Semifinal

    Friday, May 26 2017 11:50 PM EDT2017-05-27 03:50:45 GMT
    USM fans celebrate after a Golden Eagles run in the C-USA TournamentUSM fans celebrate after a Golden Eagles run in the C-USA Tournament
    Southern Miss redshirt freshman Matthew Guidry called Wednesday's surprising 9-2 loss to eighth-seeded UTSA a needed "reality check." If that's the case, it would appear USM has come back to reality. The #11 Golden Eagles got their revenge, beating the Roadrunners 7-1 and eliminating UTSA from the Conference USA Tournament at MGM Park. The Golden Eagles now face off against Charlotte Saturday at 12:30 pm in the tournament semifinals, while Florida Atlantic and Rice square o...More >>
    Southern Miss redshirt freshman Matthew Guidry called Wednesday's surprising 9-2 loss to eighth-seeded UTSA a needed "reality check." If that's the case, it would appear USM has come back to reality. The #11 Golden Eagles got their revenge, beating the Roadrunners 7-1 and eliminating UTSA from the Conference USA Tournament at MGM Park. The Golden Eagles now face off against Charlotte Saturday at 12:30 pm in the tournament semifinals, while Florida Atlantic and Rice square o...More >>
  • Southern Miss eliminates Louisiana Tech 5-2 in C-USA Tournament

    Southern Miss eliminates Louisiana Tech 5-2 in C-USA Tournament

    Thursday, May 25 2017 11:39 PM EDT2017-05-26 03:39:58 GMT
    Matthew Guidry celebrates as he scores against Louisiana Tech in the C-USA Tournament.Matthew Guidry celebrates as he scores against Louisiana Tech in the C-USA Tournament.
    Listening to Matthew Guidry explain his approach before connecting on arguably the biggest hit of his career at Southern Miss, the moment is made to sound almost routine. In fact, the freshman second baseman’s two-out, full-count fly ball over the netting in right-center field Thursday afternoon was one of the primary reasons the Golden Eagles remain alive in The First, A National Banking Association, Conference USA Championship. Guidry’s three-run home run in the second...More >>
    Listening to Matthew Guidry explain his approach before connecting on arguably the biggest hit of his career at Southern Miss, the moment is made to sound almost routine. In fact, the freshman second baseman’s two-out, full-count fly ball over the netting in right-center field Thursday afternoon was one of the primary reasons the Golden Eagles remain alive in The First, A National Banking Association, Conference USA Championship. Guidry’s three-run home run in the second...More >>
  • Rice Holds On for 4-3 Win over ODU, advances to C-USA Tournament Semifinal

    Rice Holds On for 4-3 Win over ODU, advances to C-USA Tournament Semifinal

    Thursday, May 25 2017 11:23 PM EDT2017-05-26 03:23:40 GMT
    Rice head coach Wayne GrahamRice head coach Wayne Graham
    Over the years, Rice has earned a reputation for winning close baseball games, and Coach Wayne Graham said the reason for that was very simple. “Well, if you’ve got good relief pitching, you look real smart,” Graham said shortly after watching his closer, Glenn Otto, surrender only a walk over the final 3 1/3 innings of Rice’s 4-3 victory over Old Dominion Thursday in the second round of The First, A National Banking Association, Conference USA Championship. ...More >>
    Over the years, Rice has earned a reputation for winning close baseball games, and Coach Wayne Graham said the reason for that was very simple. “Well, if you’ve got good relief pitching, you look real smart,” Graham said shortly after watching his closer, Glenn Otto, surrender only a walk over the final 3 1/3 innings of Rice’s 4-3 victory over Old Dominion Thursday in the second round of The First, A National Banking Association, Conference USA Championship. ...More >>
Powered by Frankly