Jackson Co. prepares to remove debris from storm damaged homes - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Jackson Co. prepares to remove debris from storm damaged homes

Posted: Updated:
Piles of storm debris lining streets across Jackson County will soon disappear. The county is preparing to pick up the debris on Wednesday. Piles of storm debris lining streets across Jackson County will soon disappear. The county is preparing to pick up the debris on Wednesday.
JACKSON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) -

Piles of storm debris lining streets across Jackson County will soon disappear. The county is preparing to pick up the debris on Wednesday.  Residents said the pickup will help restore order in their communities after Hurricane Isaac left them in chaos. 

Martha Bond lives in Helena. She said Isaac flooded her home and drenched a lot of her personal items.

"Couches and chairs, bedding, just an assortment of things," Bond said.  

Bond has been working since the storm to get all the damaged stuff out of her home and on the front lawn for it to go. 

"It is a reminder of what happened, but it is also a health hazard because I am sure that mold is sitting there growing." 

Starting Wednesday, road crews will begin removing Bond's rubble as well as other piles of smelly debris from at least 600 homes in the unincorporated area of the county. 

"We are asking that all residents place their storm debris out by the roadway, and then we will be picking it up with county personal and county equipment. FEMA will pay 75 percent of the cost of collecting all that debris," Supervisor John McKay said. 

Only electronics, large appliances, vegetative and construction debris will be picked up. 

"We hope to get all in this first time, but we are likely to have to do a second run," Supervisor Barry Cumbest said.

Cumbest represents many of the rural communities that Isaac hit hard. 

"Helena area flooded real bad, Orange Grove, East Moss Point, they were all flooded bad," Cumbest said.  

He said his constituents have a whole lot to throw away. In fact, the county is expecting to collect at least 30,000 cubic yards of storm debris. 

"We didn't realize it was going to be this much. The flooding caught us off guard. Of course, you never know what a storm is going to bring until it gets here," said Cumbest. 

Storm debris should be separated on the curbside by electronics, large Appliances, vegetation and construction. Household hazardous waste should be dropped off at the East Road Department County Barn Site on 10825 Highway 63, or the old Moss Point Public Works site at the end of McFarlane Street.

Copyright 2012 WLOX. All rights reserved

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Dismembered human corpse identified, suspected killer in jail

    Dismembered human corpse identified, suspected killer in jail

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:10 AM EDT2014-09-16 10:10:09 GMT
    (WMC) - Investigators have identified the man whose head they found inside a black garbage bag after police believe he'd likely been dead for more than a week. Police say the victim has been identifiedMore >>
    Investigators have identified the man whose head they found inside a black garbage bag after police believe he'd likely been dead for more than a week.More >>
  • Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:00 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:00:09 GMT
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate.More >>
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate. Johnson discovered the posts last week, and she says what she read would make parents cringe.More >>
  • 'Party mansion' owner convicted of tax and healthcare fraud

    'Party mansion' owner convicted of tax and healthcare fraud

    Friday, September 12 2014 12:38 PM EDT2014-09-12 16:38:35 GMT
    File photoFile photo
    A former Raleigh resident, known for the wild parties held at his “party mansion” in North Raleigh, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for tax fraud, healthcare fraud and money laundering crimes, according to a United States Department of Justice release.More >>
    A former Raleigh resident, known for the wild parties held at his “party mansion” in North Raleigh, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for tax fraud, healthcare fraud and money laundering crimes, according to a United States Department of Justice release.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.