JACKSON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - The Jackson County Board of Supervisors on Monday ordered a mandatory evacuation of all areas south of Highway 90. This includes all areas south of 90 in Ocean Springs, Gautier and Pascagoula. Other low lying areas that often flood during heavy rain are also included. Ocean Springs city leaders said the evacuation was in effect as of 4pm.
Flood waters could rise high enough to render the roads and bridges in this area impassable.
At the same time the evacuation order went into effect, shelters opened at the following locations:
- East Central High School (21700 Slider Road in Hurley)
- Vancleave High School (12412 Hwy 57)
- St. Martin High School (10800 Yellow Jacket Road)
- East Central Community Center (4300 Hwy 614 – special needs shelter for people with a caretaker accompanying them)
Animal shelter officials will be present at each shelter to transport animals to the animal shelter in Gautier. (Previously the Vancleave shelter had been designated the pet shelter.)
In Ocean Springs, Delta Sanitation will suspend garbage pickup for Tuesday and Wednesday. Pickup will be on Thursday and Friday, respectively. Trash normally picked up on Thursday will be on Saturday, and trash normally picked up on Friday will be on Sunday. The following week, due to the Labor Day holiday on Monday, the pickup days will be one day later all week.
Residents may also bring their household garbage (NO hazardous waste, limbs, leaves, or other debris) to dumpsters in the following locations:
- Gay Lemon Park on Dena Road
- Ocean Springs Civic Center (3730 Bienville Road)
- Ocean Springs Harbor in the boat ramp area
- Trentwood subdivision (Park at Reilly Road and Shadowwood Drive)
- Ocean Springs Middle School (Hanshaw and Old Spanish Trail)
- Public Works (712 Pine Dr.)
- Woodhaven subdivision (Clay Boyd Park)
- Freedom Field (Porter Ave. and General Pershing)
- Alice Street (OS Recreation Center)
- Cherokee Glen and Rail Overpass
- Boat Ramp at Bristol Blvd. (Fort Bayou Estates)