Grandpa saves grandkids from burning home in Harrison Co.

A daring rescue attempt in Harrison County Tuesday worked, saving the life of a 7 year old girl.
A daring rescue attempt in Harrison County Tuesday worked, saving the life of a 7 year old girl.

HARRISON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - It's one of the worst calls a firefighter can get: A home is fully engulfed and a small child is trapped inside. It happened Tuesday around noon in Harrison County.

"We arrived on the scene and the fire and smoke was coming from the house, so we expected the worse and feared the worse," Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan said.

Sullivan said two adults and a 4 year old boy got out of the blaze on Shaw Road, but a 7 year old girl was trapped inside the inferno. Luckily, the girl's brave 69 year old grandfather, who had initially made it out of the house, was able to go back inside and find her amid the intense heat and black smoke. Against all odds, both made it out alive through the back door.

"They were taken to the hospital with smoke inhalation. We believe they're going to be okay, but it was a very dangerous situation, and a close situation when we first arrived."

Sullivan said the cause of this blaze should be a reminder to all parents about the importance of educating children on fire safety.

"The long days of summer tend to get inquisitive and get in trouble. And, unfortunately, this is a situation that we believe the child was playing with matches or a lighter and set the house, set the bedroom on fire."

The grandfather and little girl were taken to the burn center in Brandon for treatment. Their home is heavily damaged and, sadly, their dog was killed in the blaze.

Copyright 2012 WLOX. All rights reserved.