Woman Alleges Police Brutality In Ocean Springs - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

02/12/04

Woman Alleges Police Brutality In Ocean Springs

Karen Nettles of Pascagoula says two Ocean Springs police officers used excessive force when they arrested her following a traffic stop late Saturday night.

The 32 year old woman, who had knee surgery last month, claims the officers ignored her repeated warnings to stop hurting her injured leg.

The Jackson County NAACP has also gotten involved with the police brutality allegations. A formal complaint alleges the woman's civil rights were violated while she was in police custody.

"I said, Jimmy, I said y'all please come and help me. These police won't believe me. They done hurt my leg."

Karen Nettles recounted the incident during a news conference in her living room in Pascagoula.

She says her ordeal began after a wrong turn late Saturday. Trying to turn into a convenience store, she found herself going the wrong way on Highway 90. An Ocean Springs officer made the traffic stop, then placed her under arrest when a check revealed an outstanding warrant on a trespassing charge in Pascagoula.

She warned the officers about her hurting knee.

"When he pushed me down on this side, we fell to the ground. And that's when I fell on my knee. And I went to screaming at them, cause I was in excruciating pain," she said.

Nettles says officers further injured the knee when they drug her to the police car and forced her into the back seat. She claims they got angry when she made a call on her cell phone.

"And then he went to reach to grab me under my neck. That's when he caught me on the face and busted my nose. And I don't know if, I still had my phone and I was like y'all help me please. they done busted my nose," she said.

The Ocean Springs police chief could not comment on details but says an internal investigation is underway.

"In cases like this, we're going to look into these accusations. We're going to interview. We're going to look into the facts and circumstances," said Chief Kerry Belk.

Although he declined to go on camera, a convenient store clerk who was on duty late Saturday told WLOX News the arrest caused quite a commotion in the parking lot. He says the whole incident lasted well over thirty minutes. He also said it appeared to him and several customers that the woman was resisting arrest and did not want to be handcuffed.

Karen Nettles says she was simply trying to protect her injured knee and officers refused to believe she was hurting.

"It's not my choice to be handicapped or to be in pain and can't walk fast enough because the police are telling me to walk, I'm not walking fast enough. It's not my choice for my leg to be messed up," she said.

The two officers remain on duty pending the results of the internal investigation. No charges have been filed against them.

Karen Nettles was ticketed for driving in the wrong lane and resisting arrest. Her court date is March 10th.

by Steve Phillips

• NEWSMore>>

Bow WOW; Graduation day is here

Saturday, July 22 2017 12:37 PM EDT2017-07-22 16:37:22 GMT
    This is one of the therapy dogs to earn a diploma today at Memorial Hospital (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)This is one of the therapy dogs to earn a diploma today at Memorial Hospital (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)

It's graduation day for therapy dogs and their handlers. A dozen pet partners donned caps and gowns for this graduation ceremony. The eleventh annual graduation exercise was at Guflport's Memorial Hospital.

'Home Alone' dad John Heard dies at 72

Saturday, July 22 2017 10:26 AM EDT2017-07-22 14:26:16 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 11:22 AM EDT2017-07-22 15:22:00 GMT

John Heard appeared in numerous movies and television shows throughout a lengthy acting career, but it was his role as the father of Macauley Culkin's character in two "Home Alone" films that gained him notoriety.

Two wrecks, one critical injury on I-110

Saturday, July 22 2017 11:07 AM EDT2017-07-22 15:07:45 GMT
    (Photo: file)(Photo: file)

One driver was in critical condition after a series of accidents Saturday morning on I-110. That driver was reportedly unable to stop or swerve around an accident scene. He slammed into a car on the southbound side of I-110. The damage was so severe, he had to be cut out of the car by first responders.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

'Home Alone' dad John Heard dies at 72

Saturday, July 22 2017 10:26 AM EDT2017-07-22 14:26:16 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 11:22 AM EDT2017-07-22 15:22:00 GMT

GRAPHIC VIDEO: Teens mock drowning man

Thursday, July 20 2017 9:14 PM EDT2017-07-21 01:14:47 GMT
    Thursday, July 20 2017 9:39 PM EDT2017-07-21 01:39:28 GMT

Police say no laws were violated by five teens who made a video of a drowning man and posted it to social media.

Firefighters from five counties battle huge fire in Granite Falls

Saturday, July 22 2017 12:08 PM EDT2017-07-22 16:08:40 GMT

The fire broke out at the Old Shuford Mill on Falls Avenue in Granite Falls, right across the street from the Granite Falls Police Department.

Powered by Frankly