New Cleveland Strangler cases dismissed - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

New Cleveland Strangler cases dismissed

Posted: Updated:
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

Developing news surrounding convicted serial killer Anthony Sowell.

19 Action News has learned the new cases against the mass murderer have been dismissed. Another trial was slated to begin today.

This trial was for the rape and felony assault charges on the two women who survived his attacks. Both women testified in Sowell's murder trial, and said they got closure from testifying.

By allowing the dismissal, the victims are spared the pain of reliving their attacks and they deny Sowell what he wants - more attention.

"He's a hopeless soul, I mean, there's nothing redeeming about him there never will be," said Assistant County Prosecutor Rick Bombik. "The man has got to...the man is without any remorse without any conscience and anything that comes out of his mouth goes in one ear and out my other ear."

As he left court, Sowell used a vulgar term and mumbled, "They ain't got s#!%."

Prosecutors make a practical point. By dropping the charges, they are saving taxpayers a lot of money. Hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent on the first trial, and while this one was not going to be nearly as long, there are a lot of people who think spending another dime is too much.

51-year-old Sowell was sentenced to death for the murder of eleven women between June 2007 and September 2009. The victims' remains were found inside and outside of Sowell's Imperial Avenue home in Cleveland.

Copyright 2011 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Two teens charged with Gulfport man's murder

    Two teens charged with Gulfport man's murder

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 3:00 PM EDT2014-07-29 19:00:30 GMT
    Two Gulfport teens are charged with murder after police say they shot Lamont Hayes in his home last week and left him to die.More >>
    Two Gulfport teens are charged with murder after police say they shot Lamont Hayes in his home last week and left him to die. Monday night, investigators tracked down Jalen Shaquille Williams, 19, and arrested him at his home. Rashad Rejohn Johnson, 17, was arrested Monday at the Harrison County Juvenile Detention Facility, where he was being held on an unrelated charge.More >>
  • Two more Singing River Health System clinics set to close

    Two more Singing River Health System clinics set to close

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 9:10 PM EDT2014-07-30 01:10:42 GMT
    Singing River Health System has announced the closure of two more primary care clinics as part of a realignment program. The Gautier and D'Iberville facilities will close August 29.
    More >>
    We will rebound. That's Singing River Health System CEO Kevin Holland's response to the announcement that two clinics are closing in South Mississippi. Those facilities are in Gautier and D'Iberville. Holland said it's also unfortunate that several people will lose their jobs because of the closings.More >>
  • Coroner: Gulfport murder victim was shot in the groin

    Coroner: Gulfport murder victim was shot in the groin

    Thursday, July 24 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-24 10:54:09 GMT
    According to Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove, Lamont Hayes, 41, was shot in the groin area and bled to death just a few hours later Tuesday night.More >>
    An area of Gulfport still reeling from the brutal murder of a child last week was hit with another violent death Tuesday night. According to Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove, Lamont Hayes, 41, was shot in the groin area and bled to death just a few hours later.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.