Bench trial for convicted serial killer Anthony Sowell - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Attorney: Sowell to make unsworn statement to jurors during death penalty phase

Posted: Updated:
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

A bench trial was held Wednesday morning for serial killer Anthony Sowell.

The 51-year-old was convicted of murdering eleven women and burying their bodies in and around his Imperial Avenue home. 

He is eligible for the death penalty. 

Wednesday's bench trial covered some specifications from the indictment that need to be addressed. This proceeding handled matters that Sowell waived his right to have a jury determine; this waiver occurred earlier in the case.

Sowell's lawyers asked the court for permission to lead Sowell through an unsworn question and answer during mitigation. The judge allowed the motion, to which prosecutors objected. Judge Ambrose told them he has allowed it in the past.

"He really does need the guiding hand of counsel, so to speak, to make sure he hits on all the topics to assist in making this a more efficient and comprehensive presentation to the jury," said Sowell's Attorney John Parker.

"Since the defendant in Ohio has the right to testify on the stand under either the guilt phase or penalty phase, he does not have that right to have counsel guide him through the question and answer period," said Asst. County Prosecutor Lauren Bell.

Sowell was also labeled a Tier 3 Sexual Offender.

No proceedings anticipated until Monday, August 1st. That is when jurors will begin deliberating the death penalty phase.

19 Action News has learned prosecutors are trying to unseal secret court records from earlier in the case when the defense lawyers went to the judge asking for more money to build their case.

Copyright 2011 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Two teens charged with Gulfport man's murder

    Two teens charged with Gulfport man's murder

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 3:00 PM EDT2014-07-29 19:00:30 GMT
    Two Gulfport teens are charged with murder after police say they shot Lamont Hayes in his home last week and left him to die.More >>
    Two Gulfport teens are charged with murder after police say they shot Lamont Hayes in his home last week and left him to die. Monday night, investigators tracked down Jalen Shaquille Williams, 19, and arrested him at his home. Rashad Rejohn Johnson, 17, was arrested Monday at the Harrison County Juvenile Detention Facility, where he was being held on an unrelated charge.More >>
  • SRHS to Close Two More Clinics

    SRHS to Close Two More Clinics

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:50 AM EDT2014-07-29 14:50:29 GMT
    Singing River Health System has announced the closure of two more primary care clinics as part of a realignment program. The Gautier and D'Iberville facilities will close August 29.
    More >>
    Singing River Health System has announced the closure of two more primary care clinics as part of a realignment program. According to SRHS officials, the Gautier and D'Iberville facilities will close August 29.More >>
  • Coroner: Gulfport murder victim was shot in the groin

    Coroner: Gulfport murder victim was shot in the groin

    Thursday, July 24 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-24 10:54:09 GMT
    According to Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove, Lamont Hayes, 41, was shot in the groin area and bled to death just a few hours later Tuesday night.More >>
    An area of Gulfport still reeling from the brutal murder of a child last week was hit with another violent death Tuesday night. According to Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove, Lamont Hayes, 41, was shot in the groin area and bled to death just a few hours later.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.