'Dead' man wakes up in morgue - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

'Dead' man wakes up in morgue

(MSNBC.COM) - A 50-year-old South African man woke up inside a mortuary over the weekend and screamed to be let out — scaring away attendants who thought he was a ghost, MSNBC.COM reports.

FROM MSNBC:

The man's family presumed he was dead when they could not wake him on Saturday night and contacted a private morgue in a rural village in the Eastern Cape, according to a news report on the BBC's website.

He spent almost 24 hours inside the morgue, the region's health department spokesman told the Sapa news agency. The man woke up at 5:00 p.m. local time, startling two attendants, and demanded to be let out of the chilly morgue. The workers, frightened, ran away, but returned to call an ambulance to take the man to the hospital, where he was treated for dehydration.

"Doctors put him under observation and concluded he was stable," Eastern Cape health spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said. "He did not need further treatment."

A lesson can be learned from the whole ordeal: Call a doctor to make sure a person is dead before calling the undertaker.

"You begin to you ask yourself how many other people have died like that in a morgue," Kupelo said. "We need to (get) the message across to all South Africans that it is very wrong for them to conclude on their own that a person has died."

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Stone Middle School student charged with cyberstalking

    Stone Middle School student charged with cyberstalking

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:17 AM EST2018-02-22 16:17:12 GMT

    A 15-year-old student at Stone Middle School will be charged with cyberstalking in connection with a threat on social media. And the district attorney is considering whether to charge him as an adult. 

    More >>

    A 15-year-old student at Stone Middle School will be charged with cyberstalking in connection with a threat on social media. And the district attorney is considering whether to charge him as an adult. 

    More >>
  • Hancock County officials investigating middle school threat

    Hancock County officials investigating middle school threat

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:16 AM EST2018-02-22 16:16:03 GMT
    School leaders in Hancock County say they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found.  (Photo source: WLOX)School leaders in Hancock County say they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found.  (Photo source: WLOX)

    School leaders in Hancock County are investigating a threat of a school shooting at Hancock Middle School. So far they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found. 

    More >>

    School leaders in Hancock County are investigating a threat of a school shooting at Hancock Middle School. So far they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found. 

    More >>
  • WLOX Editorial: Swift action needed

    WLOX Editorial: Swift action needed

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 4:48 PM EST2018-02-21 21:48:13 GMT

    In the days since the shootings that killed 17 people in a Florida school, tensions have been high among students and parents across the nation. In our area, possible threats and rumors of threats yielded quick action to find and arrest those making these threats. That is how it should be.   

    More >>

    In the days since the shootings that killed 17 people in a Florida school, tensions have been high among students and parents across the nation. In our area, possible threats and rumors of threats yielded quick action to find and arrest those making these threats. That is how it should be.   

    More >>
Powered by Frankly