On the eve of this Independence Day, fire crews battled a rather large woods fire in Hancock County near the Silver Slipper Casino. According to fire officials, the blaze was started by fireworks.
"One of the fireworks got down into the marsh and lit it on fire," said Clermont Harbor Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief, Dwayne Gray.
Gray told WLOX News about an acre of land was burning when crews arrived on scene. He added that the flames rose near 15 feet from the fire.
Gray said it took about thirty minutes for the firemen to get the fire under control.
Fireworks are allowed this holiday in the unincorporated areas of Hancock County. The area where the fire burned is unincorporated.
Copyright 2011 WLOX. All rights reserved.