Cigarette butt sparks fire in downtown Gulfport

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - The cigarette butt is being blamed for starting a Hwy 49 median fire that spread smoke across downtown Gulfport Thursday.

The small, slow moving fire was put out in just minutes. But Gulfport Fire Chief Michael Bayerstedt said that's often how fires start in rural areas. Undetected, they can spread quickly and cause massive damage.

This small fire only burned the dry mulch and a few plants. But the chief said this should remind everyone to be more aware of fire hazards during a drought.

Copyright 2011 WLOX. All rights reserved.