Traffic nightmare on I-110 bridge

BILOXI, MS (WLOX) - Monday morning, the Mississippi Department of Transportation unveiled phase three of a project to replace the draw bridge on the I-110 in Biloxi.  Signs have been posted from Highway 90 to Interstate 10 warning motorists of potential gridlock.

The four phase M-DOT production began back in January. Up to now, M-DOT has managed to keep at least two lanes open on the north bound side with two lanes moving north and one lane available to travelers heading south.

But through Wednesday, both north and south bound traffic is down to one lane.

"In order to move traffic from one phase to the other, we have to do some work in the median area. So to facilitate that, we've moved traffic to the outside lanes of the bridge," said Area Engineer Gabe Faggard.

The one lane configuration will last through Wednesday, then traffic will be moved back to the north side with two lanes open for north bound traffic and one lane open for south bound traffic.

Faggard said the project is scheduled to be completed before the start of hurricane season on June first.

"We have strict stipulations in the contract for the work to be completed by June first. Then there are penalties if they are not done. So far the project is on schedule. We anticipate completing it by the June first deadline."

Motorists are encouraged to find an alternate route during this phase of the project.

Copyright 2011 WLOX. All rights reserved.