Fire Destroys George County Home - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

08/12/03

Fire Destroys George County Home

A George County family lost everything when a fire destroyed their home.

Kayla Moseley credits a smoke detector with saving her family. The alarm woke her up early Monday morning and allowed just enough time to get her children safely outside.

"I was in the bedroom back here, when the smoke detector went off," said Kayla Moseley, as she stepped carefully through her burned out home.

After the abrupt awakening at 2 AM Monday, Moseley's first thought was saving her children. The mother of four had three little ones at home. Her teenage son was spending the night with a friend.

"Tristen and Dylan were sleeping in here. Kirstin was asleep in my bed. The fire was in here. And I got them and took them out the front," she explained.

The fire still smolders the day after. An electrical short in the laundry room apparently sparked the blaze.

"You couldn't see the ceiling for the black smoke when I woke up. And when I got outside the roof in the back of the house, flames were already shooting out the roof," she said.

Two volunteer fire departments got the call early Monday. But the flames had too big a head start. Fire claimed most everything.

"All our clothes. All of their school clothes. Everything we just accumulated for them to start back to school the past three or four weeks. All that's gone," she explained.

Still, the mother of four manages to gives thanks. She's thankful her mother insisted the house have a smoke detector. And thankful her family survived.

"I'm just, I'm grateful I have my kids," she said, while fighting back the tears.

Her kids will no doubt long remember the early morning awakening and their family's narrow escape.

The family had no insurance on any of their belongings that they lost in the fire. Friends have set up an account if you'd like to help. The Kayla Moseley benefit fund is at Merchants and Marine bank in Lucedale.

By Steve Phillips

Powered by Frankly