By Michelle Lady - e-mail
SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - Take a trip back to 1492 when Columbus sailed the ocean blue. Replicas of The Nina and Pinta have coasted on over to the Biloxi Schooner Pier where they are open for tours. Board the ships today through January 2nd between 9a.m. and 5p.m.
Get your fix of Christmas displays this weekend. Over 40-thousand lights and decorations have taken over the Balbock Residence on Commission Road in Long Beach for this year's Winter Wonderland. Plus the entire Estates of Penny Lane also in Long Beach have their decorations synchronized to holiday music, plus they are offering carriage rides and refreshments. Cruise on by after the sun goes down.
Several gracious volunteers are opening up their hearts and pocket books to make sure all South Mississippians have a holiday meal and warm fellowship this Christmas. The McLendon family is holding a free lunch at the Stone County Exhibit Building in Wiggins at 11a.m. The Gulf Coast Rescue Mission is opening their doors to anyone who wants to come by between noon and four p.m. Also the Harrison county sheriff's department and local police departments have teamed up to deliver hot meals into the homes of those in need. Volunteers are needed at the Work Center on Lorraine Road in Gulfport at 8:30a.m.
The Mississippi Surge is asking Santa for a win for Christmas. They will take on the the Louisiana IceGators Sunday. The puck will be dropped at 7 sharp at the Coast Coliseum and following the game you can take the ice for open skating.
The folks over at Gulf Islands National Seashore invite you over for a Marsh Walk. Learn about salt plants and animals and how they have adapted to the challenging environment in Coastal Mississippi. The walk begins at 2p.m. Sunday.
The Nina & Pinta
- Friday - January 2nd 9a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Biloxi Schooner Pier
- Admission Charged
- For More Info Call (228) 435-6320
Winter Wonderland Christmas
- Friday - Sunday 6p.m. - 9p.m.
- Balbock Residence
- 18100 Commission Road, Long Beach
- For Directions Call (228) 669-2123
Penny Lane Holiday Lights
- Saturday 2p.m. - 6p.m.
- Sunday 1p.m. - 5p.m.
- Estates of Penny Lane
- 20015 Pineville Road, Long Beach
Free Christmas Meal
- Saturday 11a.m.
- Stone County Exhibit Building
- 711 Airport Road, Wiggins
- Saturday 12p.m. - 4p.m.
- Gulf Coast Rescue Mission
- 2750 Mission Lane, Biloxi
- For More Info Call (228) 388-3884
Feed the Needy
- Volunteers needed at 8:30
- Harrison County Sheriff's Office Work Center
- 10046 Lorraine Road, Gulfport
- Sunday 7p.m.
- Open Skating After Game
- Call for skating tickets (228) 594-3700
- MS Coast Coliseum
- 2350 Beach Blvd
- Sunday 2p.m.
- Gulf Islands National Seashore
- 3500 Park Road, Ocean Springs
- For More Info Call (228) 875-9057