Vancleave gas explosion sends man to USA burn unit - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Vancleave gas explosion sends man to USA burn unit

VANCLEAVE, MS (WLOX) -

VANCLEAVE, MS (WLOX) - A leaking propane tank is believed to be responsible for an explosion that rocked a Jackson County neighborhood Monday night and sent one man to the hospital. That's according to Jackson County Sheriff Mike Byrd.

The Sheriff told WLOX News the explosion happened around 6pm at a private residence along Gautier-Vancleave Road, near Graceland Baptist Church.

Jay Vaughan, 47, was in a nearby shed when the explosion happened. He suffered a fractured leg, as well as burns along his back, arms and face.

Vaughan was taken to Ocean Springs Hospital, but was soon transferred to the USA Burn Center in Mobile.

Vancleave firefighters managed to seal the leak in the propane tank. The blast was so powerful, residents miles away from the blast reported feeling the explosion.

Copyright 2010 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly