Childproofing during the holidays

BILOXI, MS (WLOX) - By Meggan Gray – bio | email

BILOXI, MS (WLOX) - With the Christmas season upon us, now is a perfect time to remind parents of some important ways to keep the holidays safe so our little ones can grow up happy, healthy, and ready to learn.

First, the tree -- some parents may decide to use a gate to block curious toddlers from tugging on limbs.  Others may choose to use a smaller, tabletop tree out of baby's reach.  As always, if you're using a real tree make sure to keep it watered, to avoid a fire hazard.

Another fire hazard to avoid -- candles.  If you light candles, always have them placed well out of reach, and never leave them unattended.

When you're stringing lights on the mantle or around the tree, make sure to hide electrical cords behind furniture or in a hide-a-cord device.

Whether it be ornaments, hooks, ribbons, tags or Santa statues, many holiday decorations can pose a threat to small children, so make sure to keep all breakables, and choking hazards out of reach.

And finally, some pointers on plants - Poinsettias aren't necessarily poisonous, but the sap can cause skin irritations.  Mistletoe and some Holly varieties are toxic, however, and should not be handled by children.

So please be mindful this December as you're passing out the hard candy, hanging holiday trim, or wrapping tiny toys, so everyone can have a very Merry Christmas.

Copyright 2010 WLOX. All rights reserved.