Get $1,500 tax credit for home energy efficiency

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - By Rebecca Powers – bio | email

GULFPORT, (WLOX) - Looking for ways to make your home more energy efficient and get money back? If so, look no further than the U.S. Department of Energy's site. There you will find a long list of energy efficient appliances and fuel-efficient vehicles as well as other products that will also earn you tax credits.

The Obama administration extended the "Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009" until December 31st of this year. That means you have about 100 days left to get a $1,500 tax credit from Uncle Sam who wants to help you and America "go green."

Homeowners can get a 30% tax credit up to $1,500 if they install specific products like insulation, doors, roofs and a/c units. "Window King's" Todd Cantor is happy windows are also on that list.

Cantor said you'll see your power bills plummet.

"You can achieve up to 50% savings not to mention you don't have to use your lights as often."

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 was extended to this year as part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005. Besides energy efficiency and the dollar tax credit, Cantor says most new windows are also hurricane proof. Being able to drive away before a storm instead of boarding up windows is another benefit.

"The armor glass not only guarantees you against burglars from intruding your home when you are there or not, it also protects you from violent storms, hurricanes and flying debris," Cantor said.

To prove it, he took a hammer to a window they just removed from a home in Gulfport. Breaking it with one easy stroke, he gives the same treatment to the new energy efficient armor glass. It spider webs with each hit, but it is never penetrated. Only the outer layer shows any damage.

Cantor said, "On the outside it has a sacrificial layer of glass, then it has argon gas then it has another layer of glass, a laminate in between the glass and more layer of glass on the inside."

Whether it be windows, air conditioning or better insulation, a receipt is all you'll need to get your at least some of your money back at tax time. But the work must be done this year, the deadline is December 31st.

Copyright 2010 WLOX. All rights reserved.