Blowout preventer removed - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Blowout preventer removed

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - BP says the blowout preventer that failed to stop oil from spewing into the Gulf of Mexico has been removed from the company's well.

A BP spokesman said Friday in an e-mail to The Associated Press that the 50-foot, 300-ton device was detached from the wellhead at 1:20 p.m. CDT.

The device was slowly being lifted to the surface and wouldn't likely reach the top until sometime Saturday.

Earlier in the day, a vessel had latched onto the equipment to raise it from a mile beneath the sea. The blowout preventer is considered a key piece of evidence in the spill investigation.

 Investigators will examine it and hope to gain insight into why the device failed to prevent the spill.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly