Police chase ends with crash; Preacher tased in aftermath

car being chased on bed of tow truck
car being chased on bed of tow truck

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - By Jessica Bowman – email

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - A high speed chase in Gulfport sent one person to the hospital and two others to jail Wednesday night. One of those men in jail is a local preacher who was tased during the altercation.

Police started chasing Marvin McMillan on Highway 90, just east of Cowan Road. He turned north on Hewes Avenue where police were waiting with stop sticks. McMillian blew a tire and crashed into a light pole.

But the story doesn't end there. Witnesses told WLOX News that two men went to the crash site to pray for McMillan, who was injured and waiting on paramedics. One of those men was Pastor Clifton Walker.

"The person who got in trouble is a cousin of mine," LaPorsha Cunningham said, "So my uncle and Brother Walker went to check on him. And once they went to check on him, they were told to get back. They were like, 'Okay, we're just checking on him.' So they were walking away at a normal pace. The police just kept continuing to push them in the back, like, really forcibly."

Cunningham said what happened next to Pastor Walker took everyone by surprise.

"They slammed Brother Walker on the wall and put him in a head lock," Cunningham said. "Brother Walker was foaming at the mouth while they still had him in the headlock. He was actually praying. He was like, 'In the name of Jesus, I'm a son of God.' And the police tasered him right after he did that."

"It was like four or five police officers standing around. This one officer standing on him in the head lock with his foot in the middle of his back. Why was it necessary for him tase him with all these guys around? They could have just put him in handcuffs."

Gulfport Police would not comment Wednesday night on the tasing incident, but did say the man they were chasing, 33-year-old Marvin McMillan, was wanted for aggravated assault.

McMillan was taken to the hospital for treatment. Walker and the other man at the scene were still in police custody Wednesday night, but had not been charged with any crime.

Copyright 2010 WLOX. All rights reserved.