WASHINGTON, DC (WLOX) - The Associated Press reported Monday that sources in the Obama administration will issue new revised moratorium on offshore drilling.
Two administration officials have told The Associated Press of the plans. Both requested anonymity so as not to pre-empt the official announcement.
Last week, a federal appeals court in Louisiana rejected the government's effort to restore its initial offshore deepwater drilling moratorium, which halted the approval of any new permits for deepwater projects and suspended drilling on 33 exploratory wells.
It was first rejected last month by U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said at the time that he would issued a new, refined moratorium. The administration says it wants to ensure that deepwater drilling is safe.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.