Transocean CEO: My heart "broken by your loss" - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Transocean CEO: My heart "broken by your loss"

(Photo source: DeepwaterHorizonMemorial.com) (Photo source: DeepwaterHorizonMemorial.com)
Each family of the 11 crew members lost on the Deepwater Horizon was given a unique bronze hard hat at a memorial service in Jackson, MS. Each family of the 11 crew members lost on the Deepwater Horizon was given a unique bronze hard hat at a memorial service in Jackson, MS.
JACKSON, MS (WLOX) -

JACKSON, MS (WLOX) – Tuesday, we saw sketches of the victims of the Deepwater Horizon tragedy. And for the first time since the April 20 explosion, we learned details about the 11 men who died on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico.

The company Transocean helped organize the Deepwater Horizon memorial service in Jackson. Nine of the 11 victims were Transocean employees who loved their jobs, and based on stories told at the service, who lived robust lives.

In a darkened convention center, Transocean CEO Steven Newman stood behind a podium. Surrounding him were 11 hard hats, representing 11 brave, courageous, exceptional men who lost their lives 36 days ago.

"This is one of the most difficult days for many of us here," Newman said. Then, he focused on the families. "My heart is broken by your loss."

In Newman's remarks, he reminded those gathered at the memorial that the spirits of each man "were too beautiful to forget."

You can see excerpts of the memorial service on WLOX News at 6. Watch a replay of the memorial service or see a photo gallery at www.deepwaterhorizonmemorial.com.

The Times of London published the following list of victims from the Deepwater Horizon rig explosion.

• Adam Weise, who was mourned at a vigil attended by hundreds of people in his community of Yorktown, Texas. "Adam was my baby, just 24 years old," the man's mother, Arlene Weise told reporters.

• Aaron Dale Burkeen, a 37-year-old resident of Neshoba County, near Philadelphia, Mississippi. A local paper reported that Burkeen was responsible for getting the other crew members to safety before leaving, but was unable to get off the rig in time. He is survived by a wife and two children, ages 14 and 6.

• Donald Clark, 49, of Newellton, Louisiana, was scheduled to leave the rig on April 21, the day after the explosion.

• Roy Kemp, 27, Jonesville, Louisiana, leaves behind two daughters, one three years old, the other three months old, and his wife, Tracy.

• Jason Anderson, of Bay City, Texas, also leaves behind two children.

• Stephen Curtis, 39, of Georgetown, Louisiana, is also survived by two children. He had been working in the oil industry for 17 years, following in the footsteps of his father, Howard, who worked as a diver-welder for 34 years.

• Gordon Jones, 28, of Louisiana, leaves behind a son and a pregnant wife, Michelle.

• Blair Manuel, 56, of Gonzales, Louisiana, worked as a chemical engineer on the rig. He had three daughters and was engaged to be married.

• Dewey Revette, 48, from State Line, Mississippi, worked for Transocean for 29 years as a driller, and was also a father.

• Shane Roshto, 22, was from Franklin County, Mississippi. His widow, Natalie Roshto, has also launched a lawsuit against Transocean, BP, and Haliburton.

Copyright 2010 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly