Laurent murder trial delayed until June - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Laurent murder trial delayed until June

HANCOCK COUNTY, MS (WLOX) -

HANCOCK COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - The trial for accused murderer Leo Laurent had been delayed until June.

Laurent is accused of killing his wife, Brandi, in August 2007 and burying her body not far from their Hancock County home. Laurent's trial was scheduled to begin Monday, but Friday Judge Roger Clark granted a defense motion to delay the proceedings until June 28.

Laurent's attorney, Brian Alexander, also made motions to reduce Laurent's bond and to suppress his statements to investigators.

Though Laurent has maintained his innocence, an investigator testified in the preliminary hearing in February that Laurent told several stories about what happened the night his wife died, including admitting to an argument, tussling over a gun that went off and then panicking and burying his wife's body in the nearby woods.

Alexander wants that information kept out of the trial, arguing Laurent's statements were coerced by authorities.

Assistant District Attorney Christ Fisher argued the statements should be allowed and were consistent with information Laurent wrote in letters to Brandi Laurent's mother. Last month, Laurent's attorney cited those letters when he petitioned the court to be removed from the case.

Alexander said Laurent was undermining his own defense and was not fit to stand trial for murder.

Brandi Laurent disappeared in August 2007. Her body was found in a shallow grave not far from her home in November. Friends and family spent weeks combing the area for clues and casting suspicion on her husband.

Copyright 2010 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly