Apartment fire leaves four Gulfport families homeless - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Apartment fire leaves four Gulfport families homeless

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - Four families are homeless Wednesday after a fire at an apartment complex on F Avenue in Gulfport.

Fire Chief Billy Bragg said a grease fire broke out about 9:30pm Tuesday night in an upstairs apartment and it spread to the unit next door. Both of the top floor apartments were destroyed and the bottom two units have heavy smoke and water damage.

Chief Bragg said the Red Cross came in to help the families with basic needs and lodging.

A woman who lived next to the apartment where the fire started, told WLOX News she and her children had to jump from a second story window to escape the flames. No one was injured, but the families in the four apartments lost all of their belongings.

Copyright 2010 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly