By WLOX Staff
SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - Instead of throwing away your old Christmas tree this year, recycle it.
"Your Christmas tree still has value after the holidays," Ronda Powell, Jackson County Solid Waste Director said. "Instead of just throwing the tree away, give it to us to recycle."
Harrison and Jackson counties have several locations where trees can be dropped off.
Harrison County drop off sites
- Mississippi Power - Lorraine Road, Gulfport
- Combs Pier parking lot - Courthouse Road and Highway 90
- Espy Avenue soccer fields - Just north of the West Harrison Civic Center
Jackson County drop off sites
- Jackson County Landfill - Seaman Road, Vancleave
- West Road Barn - Hwy. 609, St. Martin
- Central Road Barn - Ballpark Road, Vancleave
- East Road Barn - Hwy. 63, Escatawpa
- Food Tiger Parking Lot - Hwy. 614, Hurley
- Gulf Park Estates/St. Andrews Fire Station - Elm Street, St. Andrews
- The Point, Pascagoula – West end of Beach Blvd.
Harrison County has already started accepting trees. Jackson County's recycling sites open Monday, January 4.
You are asked to remove all lights, ornaments, tree stands, and any other metal decorations or objects from the trees before dropping them off. The recycled trees are typically turned into mulch for public parks.