By Steve Phillips – bio | email
HARRISON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - A Harrison County family, with three young children, is homeless tonight after a Thanksgiving Day fire destroyed their mobile home. It happened around 8:30 this morning on Woodridge Drive, off Saucier-Lizana Road.
The blaze apparently began when a child playing with matches, set a mattress on fire. Lizana firefighters arrived at the scene in just four minutes. But the blaze already had a strong head start. "The flames was coming out the door. The door was pretty much burned off its hinges when we got here with the flames coming out the door," said Lizana Fire Chief, Ray Luke. The fire began in a child's bedroom. "I spoke with the family. The family advised that children were playing with matches and set a bed on fire. And they couldn't get it out with the fire extinguishers," said Chief Luke.
Chief Luke says the father, Sean Cambell, tried his best to drag the burning mattress outdoors. "He tried to drag it out of the children's bedroom and got it caught in the door and couldn't get it out of the house," said the chief, "It's just unfortunate it was so far along before we were able to get here." Firefighters got some unexpected help on the scene. They were able to draw water from the next door neighbor's swimming pool. "We drafted from the pool and didn't even use our tank trucks. Plenty of water," said Chief Luke.
Despite responding with three engines, three tankers and 20 firefighters, the blaze simply couldn't be knocked down in time the save the structure. Thankfully, the couple and their three young children were able to escape the burning mobile home. "It could have been a lot worse," said the fire chief. The only injury was to the father, Sean Cambell, whose finger was cut breaking a window while trying to get the mattress outside. Fire Chief Luke says the Cambell family plans on staying with relatives.