JACKSON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - Jackson County's Emergency Management Department is strongly advising drivers to stay off local roads Monday night and to use caution Tuesday morning.
The combination of strong wind gusts and steady rains are making driving conditions hazardous. Tropical storm force winds could also down tree limbs and power lines overnight.
As of 9pm Monday night, no roads were closed due to storm conditions.
The Jackson County Small Craft Harbor in Ocean Springs is closed to all incoming and outgoing marine traffic as a safety precaution. The Harbor was officially closed due to small craft advisories and local bridge closures. The Harbor is experiencing some minor flooding in connection with Ida's storm surge.
The County's Emergency Management Department is recommending a "Voluntary Evacuation" for all residents living in low-lying areas, flood prone areas, mobile homes, unstable structures, and travel trailers because of tropical storm force winds.
The County and the American Red Cross has opened a temporary shelter at the Gautier Convention Center on Library Lane. Seven residents evacuated to the shelter Monday evening. Residents going to a shelter should bring medication, sleeping gear, and a change of clothes.
The Jackson County Emergency Management Office has recorded several wind gusts of 30 mph and 1.6 inches of rain as of 8 p.m.
Delta Sanitation will not run household garbage routes on Tuesday, Nov. 10 and is asking residents not to pull out trash cans or debris on Tuesday. Routes will resume on Wednesday, Nov. 11 and will be running one day behind.
All Jackson County school will be closed on Tuesday, Nov. 10.
MGCCC campus will remain closed until Noon on Tuesday, Nov. 10. Employees should monitor their college email and the college website, www.mgccc.edu, for any updates or extension of closure time.
The County is still offering free sand bags (self serve) at the following 14 locations:
- Forts Lake Fire Dept. on Forts Lake Rd.
- Three Rivers Fire Dept. on Hwy. 63
- East Road Dept. on Hwy. 63 in Escatawpa
- East Central Community Center on Hwy. 614
- Orange Grove Community Center on Hwy. 90
- FVD on Old Americus Road
- St. Andrews Fire Dept. on Elm St.
- Fontainebleau Fire Dept. on Hwy. 57 (south)
- Central Road Dept. on Hwy. 57 in Vancleave
- FVD on Simmons Bayou Rd. (Gulf Park Estates)
- West Jaxco Fire Dept. on Big Ridge Rd.
- Latimer Community Center on Daisy Vestry Rd.
- West Road Dept. on N. Washington Ave. in St. Martin.
- Fort Bayou Fire Dept. on Seymour Lane