Smoke Detector Saves Gulfport Couple - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

01/01/03

Smoke Detector Saves Gulfport Couple

An early morning fire Wednesday destroyed a home in Gulfport.

Fire investigators say an electrical short likely started the blaze at 4924 Kendall Avenue in Bayou View.

Charles and Dorothy Knight lost their home, but a smoke detector saved their lives.

The quick moving fire destroyed their house. The Knights were both sleeping just before five thirty New Year's morning, when the shrill blast from the smoke detector jolted them out of bed.

The early warning gave them just enough time to escape.

"And it was almost not early enough. Because they woke up and their room was full of smoke. They had to crawl through the house and could not even get down the stairs because the fire had already advanced," said Fire Chief, Pat Sullivan.

With fire blocking the stairs, the quick thinking couple made their way onto the roof through the second story bedroom window.

Along with the warning from the smoke detector, next door neighbor Dennis Hill was also a life saver. He heard the couple's cries and hurried to help.

"Well, I was up reading and heard the sounds. So I'm real glad that I heard them," he said.

Once he saw them on the roof, Hill quickly brought his extension ladder which enabled the couple to safely escape their now rapidly burning house.

"I ran for that and got that and put it on the corner right there. And as soon as she was down, and he was halfway down, I ran for the phone," said Hill.

Both Charles and Dorothy Knight were too distraught to talk with us on camera. Their homes of 26 years is in ruins. But they're truly grateful to be alive this New Year, thanks to a caring neighbor and a working smoke detector.

"We preach and we preach and we preach smoke detectors. This is why. And this is a prime example of how the smoke detector saves lives," said Chief Sullivan.

By Steve Phillips

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Peralta strikes out nine in debut, Shuckers fall 7-3 in extras

    Peralta strikes out nine in debut, Shuckers fall 7-3 in extras

    Sunday, June 25 2017 11:35 PM EDT2017-06-26 03:35:20 GMT
    Freddy Peralta prepares to pitch for the Biloxi Shuckers at MGM ParkFreddy Peralta prepares to pitch for the Biloxi Shuckers at MGM Park

    The Biloxi Shuckers had late-inning opportunities but fell 7-3 to the Mississippi Braves in 10 innings on Sunday night. The Shuckers loss sets up a rubber game in the series finale on Monday night. Freddy Peralta started for the Shuckers in his Double-A debut, and showed why he earned a promotion from Carolina out of the All-Star break.

    More >>

    The Biloxi Shuckers had late-inning opportunities but fell 7-3 to the Mississippi Braves in 10 innings on Sunday night. The Shuckers loss sets up a rubber game in the series finale on Monday night. Freddy Peralta started for the Shuckers in his Double-A debut, and showed why he earned a promotion from Carolina out of the All-Star break.

    More >>
  • TNT recovery ranch opens doors to new facility

    TNT recovery ranch opens doors to new facility

    Sunday, June 25 2017 10:52 PM EDT2017-06-26 02:52:10 GMT

    Bible verses and words of affirmation line the walls of the brand new TNT Recovery Ranch dormitory. 

    More >>

    Bible verses and words of affirmation line the walls of the brand new TNT Recovery Ranch dormitory.

    More >>
  • Vibrio patient thanks Hancock Medical staff for saving his life

    Vibrio patient thanks Hancock Medical staff for saving his life

    Sunday, June 25 2017 10:35 PM EDT2017-06-26 02:35:33 GMT

    Dick Empson is standing tall again - all 6 feet, four inches of him. And he’s back to thank Hancock Medical Center staff that got him back on two legs. “I told them that I was not coming back by to visit until I could walk in,” he said. He and his family have been vacationing in Pass Christian for 25 years. Last year, was one that won’t soon be forgotten. That's when he contracted vibrio. He lost his leg and nearly lost his life.

    More >>

    Dick Empson is standing tall again - all 6 feet, four inches of him. And he’s back to thank Hancock Medical Center staff that got him back on two legs. “I told them that I was not coming back by to visit until I could walk in,” he said. He and his family have been vacationing in Pass Christian for 25 years. Last year, was one that won’t soon be forgotten. That's when he contracted vibrio. He lost his leg and nearly lost his life.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly