Fire claims life of Gulfport man

By Elise Roberts - bio | email

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - A family is mourning the loss of a loved one this evening. A South Mississippi man is dead after a fire ripped through his Harrison County home. 48-year-old Michael James Ford died late last night in this mobile home on Old Highway 49.

Fire officials told the family that an electrical short in an old TV may have caused the fire. Family members say Ford had just moved into the family property, and last night was his first night in the home.

Grady Ford is the Michael's uncle.

"It was a big screen TV that he had just moved in yesterday, and possibly moving it caused a short and he fell asleep on the couch with the TV on," Grady said.

Grady said the family is just trying to cope with his nephew's tragic death.

"It's a tragedy, no question about it. My brother Joe and Mary Lou lost a son a year and a half ago, and 19 years ago lost a daughter," Grady said. "So it's a tragedy for them."

Deputy Coroner Charles Wise says Ford died from smoke inhalation.

©2009 WLOX. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.