Wife of missing officer still hopeful

By Elise Roberts - bio | email

OCEAN SPRINGS, MS (WLOX) - After another day of search efforts, there's still no sign of a missing Ocean Springs police officer.

Sunday, a small boat carrying five people capsized off of Horn Island. Four of those people were rescued Monday morning, but Ocean Springs Police Officer Stephen Bond is still missing.

"I got the call from his mother around 10 or 10:30 asking if I heard from him," said Angela Bond, the missing officer's wife.

The last time Bond spoke to her husband of nine years was Sunday afternoon. But after hours of un-returned phone calls and text messages, this wife and mother of two remembers how she felt when she learned her husband Stephen Bond was missing.

"Panic. Panic, because I had said earlier that day that I hope they are going to be okay, because I know it's horrible out there," said Bond.

For more than 50 hours, crews have scoured the Mississippi Sound searching for Stephen Bond.

"He's a survivor, we know that," said Bond.

The officer's strong will and his Marine Corp training are a comfort to Angela Bond, as she continues to hope and pray that he will come home alive.

"He's got his babies that he will not give up on," said Bond. "He's got his family. And he knows that he's got that and he knows that I will not give up on him. I know he's out there and he's going to be okay."

Angela said officers have promised they will continue their search until they find Stephen Bond. In the meantime, she said the prayers and constant encouragement from others is helping her through this rough time.

"I have got some of the best people here for me right now and I don't think if it was for them, I wouldn't be able to make it through it," said Bond.

Authorities realize the likelihood of finding the former Marine alive has greatly diminished, but they say they will not stop until their friend and colleague is found.

"There's always hope. We're hoping that he's laid up on an island somewhere, that he's out of the water and dry. That's our best hope at this point," said Officer Mike Sweeney.

Fellow police officer Mike Green and his girlfriend were among the four rescued. Green said they are both praying for Stephen Bond's safe return. And and he wishes they could have somehow stayed together when the boat capsized.

"Becky and I swam straight for that box to get the life jackets. We started throwing them out to everybody," said Green. "I saw Stephen, he was still hanging on to the bow of the boat, it was the only thing sticking out of the water, he was drifting away."

©2009 WLOX. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.