Carbon Monoxide Fills Family's Gulfport Home - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

11/07/02

Carbon Monoxide Fills Family's Gulfport Home

The family who live on Elm Court in Gulfport didn't have any type of detection device that would have let them know that something was wrong with their heating system. The Gulfport Fire Department checked out the house and found high levels of the poisonous gas inside.

Using the same detection device that found the carbon monoxide in the home, firefighters Dean Morrow and Mike McCoy showed us how it works, explaining how much of the gas is dangerous. 

"Once you start gettin' over about 35 parts per million you're gettin' into a dangerous level of carbon monoxide. When we got to the house this morning we were readin' 79 parts per million," says firefighter Mike McCoy.  

The firefighters put the device near a car exhaust pipe, immediately setting off the detector. 

"This got so much of the carbon monoxide that came from the exhaust it's gonna continue to beep and will have to be reset because it got over a level that was outside the limits for human life," says firefighter Dean Morrow.  

Just like at the house the firefighters checked out Thursday morning. 

Chief Pat Sullivan says, "It was extensive levels of carbon monoxide. Evidently there was a failure in their heating unit and it allowed the carbon monoxide to go throughout the house instead of venting out of the house."  

Sullivan says that happens a lot especially this time of the year when it cools off and people turn on their heat for the first time in months. Sullivan recommends calling a heating and air technician to check your system out. Or you can buy your own carbon monoxide detector kit, but Sullivan says be careful.

"Unfortunately we get a lot of those that aren't very accurate and they go off for any reason and people get tired of 'em goin' off and they don't use 'em."

Whichever way you choose to inspect your system, the fire department recommends doing so before cranking up the heat.

If you have symptoms inside your house like vomiting, dizziness and severe headaches that clear up once you go outside into the fresh air, you might want to have your home checked for carbon monoxide.

The family being treated for the poisoning didn't want the hospital to release any information and they wouldn't talk to us.

By:Marcia Hill

Powered by Frankly