Rumor Sometimes Becomes National News - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Rumor Sometimes Becomes National News

Biloxi's public affairs director has seen several versions of the story.

"And it was in a CNN story where we first saw it. Miles O'Brien was standing in front of the Beau Rivage doing a stand up," said City of Biloxi spokesman, Vincent Creel.

The CNN reporter told his audience that 30 people died in the St. Charles apartment complex on the beach in Biloxi.

Concrete columns and an elevated slab are all that's left of the St. Charles condominiums on Highway 90 in Biloxi. But there were certainly not 30 deaths there.

"We never recovered a single body from that location," said Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove.

Hargrove also heard reports of the 30 deaths. He immediately dispatched a search team to St. Charles.

"The minute they reported back and said, no there are not any, I went immediately to the news media and said it's not a true story, we didn't lose thirty of our people in that apartment complex," said Hargrove.

Still, the stories persisted and spread.

Soon, not only CNN, but also Fox News, ABC and others were reporting the "30 deaths" at a Biloxi apartment complex.

Next door to St. Charles condos is the destroyed Sadler Apartments. A neighbor told me the name had been changed to Quiet Water Beach Apartments. No deaths there either, but it was widely reported on the Internet that 30 people died there.

The erroneous report may have started in the Harrison County Emergency Operations Center. During the early hours of Katrina rescue and recovery, EOC spokesman Jim Pollard was asked by a newspaper reporter, "What are you hearing?". His response, "We're hearing that 30 people may have died in an apartment complex", was printed in a story the next day.

"To me, I think it was probably the most infamous urban legend to come out of the storm here in Biloxi," said Vincent Creel.

By Steve Phillips

  • NEWSMore>>

  • One student in custody after post scares Stone County parents

    One student in custody after post scares Stone County parents

    Thursday, February 22 2018 9:40 AM EST2018-02-22 14:40:41 GMT

    Stone County investigators say one student is in custody this morning, being questioned about a social media post that issued a scary threat. The words in that post were chilling. Someone posted "Killing ppl at stone middle school and high school" on Facebook early this morning. That post has Wiggins Police, the Stone County Sheriff's Department and the FBI all investigating this case.

    More >>

    Stone County investigators say one student is in custody this morning, being questioned about a social media post that issued a scary threat. The words in that post were chilling. Someone posted "Killing ppl at stone middle school and high school" on Facebook early this morning. That post has Wiggins Police, the Stone County Sheriff's Department and the FBI all investigating this case.

    More >>
  • WLOX Editorial: Swift action needed

    WLOX Editorial: Swift action needed

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 4:48 PM EST2018-02-21 21:48:13 GMT

    In the days since the shootings that killed 17 people in a Florida school, tensions have been high among students and parents across the nation. In our area, possible threats and rumors of threats yielded quick action to find and arrest those making these threats. That is how it should be.   

    More >>

    In the days since the shootings that killed 17 people in a Florida school, tensions have been high among students and parents across the nation. In our area, possible threats and rumors of threats yielded quick action to find and arrest those making these threats. That is how it should be.   

    More >>
  • Harrison County Court declares remains of condo project as “blighted”

    Harrison County Court declares remains of condo project as “blighted”

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 7:08 PM EST2018-02-22 00:08:16 GMT
    The property's owner has until the beginning of March to appeal the court's order. (Photo Source: WLOX)The property's owner has until the beginning of March to appeal the court's order. (Photo Source: WLOX)
    The property's owner has until the beginning of March to appeal the court's order. (Photo Source: WLOX)The property's owner has until the beginning of March to appeal the court's order. (Photo Source: WLOX)

    Henderson Point residents frustrated by the remains of a stalled condo project are excited by news that the property may finally come down.

    More >>

    Henderson Point residents frustrated by the remains of a stalled condo project are excited by news that the property may finally come down.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly